• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help with bun, URGANT!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
As most of you already know, about 7-8 months ago we had a littler of bunnies. I kept one, and the owner of the mommy kept 3.
One of the female rabbits, ashlee, was living with her mommy and we were planning on after she was spayed they would bond a little more than they already were. All of a sudden, ashlee started attacking her mom, Aspen. We thought it was just the teenager hormonal thing,and I'm sure we are right. She is not spayed yet and does need to have that done, but there are other bunnies in line ahead of her to be spayed/neutered. I started crying this morning because I feel like we've let her down. I know she really needs to be spayed, but it cant be done yet. I just feel so bad because we cant even like pet her with out her going crazy. She rarely gets time out of her cage anymore because we can never get her back. i know its not her fault!!! If anyone has some tips on calming her down until the spay, please help. We want to keep her happy so she can stay with us and not end up in a miserable home. Thanks for your help!

THIS WAS EDITED

So has she been spayed yet?

Being territorial over her cage is also hormonal behaviour and may well improve with neutering. Coupled with the fall out with her mum, her age and the spring weather I'd say her hormones have just kicked in big time. Spaying should help with all this.

Bare inmind after spaying it can take 4-8 weeks for the hormones to decrease again. She's certainly not 'beyond saving'. Even if the spaying doesn't have the desired effect there are other things you can do to modify or work with her behaviour.

I wouldn't think any petshop would take an adult rabbit particular an aggressive one. They want cute fluffy babies they can sell. If you do decide to rehome her get intouch with a rescue that does proper homechecks.

Please reread the post that I wrote above. When I wrote the first one I wsa in tears and very sad for my bun so I went a little crazy. I dont want anyone to think I'm a bad bunny munny or anything. Thanks again for the help!!!!

Is there any way she can 'jump the queue' to get spayed earlier? Sounds like she's a pretty urgent case for it :p .

If it isn't possible but you're wanting to let her have more time out of her cage something that works for me with a trio of pretty uncatcheable half wild bunnies is that I let them out so that the time I want them to be back in coincides with feeding time. Then I feed the other rabbits and leave their cage door open with the food there. It takes about a quarter of the effort it did before I worked that out to persuade them it's time to go in, often they just dive in by themselves before I've even asked them.

If her cage is off the ground I used to do a similar thing with Bunberry before he joined the girls, but have a treat in a carrier and when he went into the carrier I'd lift it up to his level where his food was and he'd jump out. I used to call it his personal lift :p.

Hope this helps

What about trying another Vet surgery to get her spayed rather then waiting for this other one to have a free space? It might be worth getting your Vet to do a full health check just to make sure nothing else is wrong.

Can you put her in a hutch/run combination? She might feel a bit miserable if she's just in a hutch. She will be able to exercise her self at her own free will rather then having to be taken in and out of her hutch.

Try and keep her somewhere quite away from loud/sudden noises.

Sit with her and talk to her. Play soothing music. Stay nice and calm and offer her a treat when she is calm. Give her a teddy bear. All Rabbits’ who are kept on their own should have a cuddly toy. It’s something to snuggle up to and hide behind. Make sure she has plenty of hidey hole sin her hutch.

Burn some Lavender essential oil in a burner near her hutch. Lavender has a soothing effect. Put a few drops of Bach Flower Rescue Remedy in her water, it may help to calm her down.

Louise

Back