• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet bottom at pet store

munchkin

New Kit
My friend Brandy called me with a question about wet bottoms, these poor 6 week old rabbits have diareha sop bad it is all over there bellies and bottoms. They will not sell them until the are better. But not sure what to do, the vets around here have no clue about bunnies and are completely puzzled. I told her no fruit, or veggies they are still to young and to give them nothing but timothy hay and a little alf alfa hay and plenty of water. The pellets have dried fruit and things i told her no more of those pellets in them. plus pedia lite. Is there anything else or any wrong info i have past along. These babies look all full they need help. My rabbits have never had this so not to sure.

Thanks Amy

At six weeks old mine were still with their Mum. They ate excel baby/dwarf rabbit food , hay and Mummy was still feeding them. They didn't leave their mum until they were eight weeks old.

I would definately not give them any fruit or veg.

I'm sure the people in the know will have lots of advice.

Betty

She needs to get them to a vet as soon as possible! It sounds like scours, which is often fatal in very young rabbits. It's a really bad stomach basically - usually triggered by the stress of being moved from the breeders' home to a shop and change of diet.

Is the poo green it could be coxsidiosis (spelling!!!) As nix says either way they need a vet, my buns have had many babies of whihc i have kept most and they have never had it, but the local pets a home store have rabbits with it all the time

Poor bunnies!!! Well done for you helping them and giving them proper info on how to help them. I think the best thing is to only feed them lots of fresh and water and nothing else. A good botty clean is very necessary as well to stop infection and fly strike.

Good luck petal and good on you again xxxx

Phill said:
Is the poo green it could be coxsidiosis (spelling!!!)

Thats interesting about Coccidiosis as my four kids had it but their poo wasn't green, it killed one outright, and left another with a weakened heart.

They need to get to a vet soon, at six weeks old they shouldn't be away from their mum

I know that they dont need to be away from thier mum yet , but for some stupid reason the breeders around here sell them at six weeks :cry: all my buns were 6 to 8 wks when i got them with the exception of tosha who was 4 1\2 wks mum died. I gave coccidia meds to the buns at the pet shop today and a bath to clean them up. and a trim around thier genitals. anail trim, and now have a job caring for all thier buns. So wish me luck, I also set a rule of no Easter bunnys unless it is milk choc. And the new owners get a class on care and no spurr of the moment buys we will hold the buns for 1 wk after you decide you want it. And they may bring the buns back after 1 month if not able to care for buns. The owner of the pet store gave me the total kit and kabbottle. And will buy from better breeder with better bun morrals

Amy, I can't offer you advice but I applaude you for persevering with the plight of these buns to the extent that the pet shop trust you with their care. well done and continue to ask away so the experts on here (of which I am not one) can help you.

Well done Amy, now's your chance to do something wonderful for all the buns which come through that shop. Can you get assistance from any of the American Rabbit Rescues? They may have leaflets, brochures etc. on rabbit care which you can hand out to people. It would be a good idea to try and get in touch with some of them.

Back