• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I know I'm being a pain but...

Aerry

Warren Scout
I have got absolutely loads of questions about bunnies. I hope I'm not being paranoid but I'm always wondering what's best for Momiji.

Well... Here I go!

1) When is the best time for neutering a male rabbit?

2) I've heard that you can use a couple of slices of oranges and lemons as a room freshener. I don't want to hurt Momiji's nose by using normal types of air freshener.

3) What's the best way of lining his cage? I use sawdust. I heard buns like to sleep on hay but Momiji doesn't seem to like it. He only wants to eat it! Is this okay?

4) Can colds be spread from human to rabbit and vise versa? I've been making "daddy" away just in case.

5) Would it be okay to invest in a grooming brush to groom him as part of bonding? He's got short fur so he doesn't really need it, but will he appreciate it?

6) -Last one... I promise!- How do I toast brown bread for him? I know you gotta put it in the oven but for how long and what gas mark?

Okay, I think that's all for now. I'll probably think of more questions down the line but I'll just stick with these for now!

Much Love

Jennie and Momiji

1) When is the best time for neutering a male rabbit?
Usually recommended from approx 16 weeks onwards - basically, as soon as there is something there to remove :lol: :lol:

2) I've heard that you can use a couple of slices of oranges and lemons as a room freshener. I don't want to hurt Momiji's nose by using normal types of air freshener. Not heard of that but wouldn't hurt. Mine are not house buns so I will leave that to a house bun owner to answer.

3) What's the best way of lining his cage? I use sawdust. I heard buns like to sleep on hay but Momiji doesn't seem to like it. He only wants to eat it! Is this okay?
The current thinking is that sawdust can cause respiratory problems in some rabbits - the larger shavings would be better but alot of people use a product called Megazorb - which is a by product of the paper making industry and is sold in equestrian shops for horses. Personally, I used megazorb in their litter trays and in the piggies hutches and newspaper and Russell bedding (finely chopped straw) in the rabbits beds.

4) Can colds be spread from human to rabbit and vise versa? I've been making "daddy" away just in case. I understand they can but am not sure.

5) Would it be okay to invest in a grooming brush to groom him as part of bonding? He's got short fur so he doesn't really need it, but will he appreciate it? Most rabbits will have a moult so a brush or comb is handy to have in the cupboard and if he is used to being combed then it can only be a benefit - I mainly use a cat moulting comb which has alternate short and long teeth.

6) -Last one... I promise!- How do I toast brown bread for him? I know you gotta put it in the oven but for how long and what gas mark?
You can either just leave it out on the side and it will gradually go hard itself or stick it in an oven at any gas mark - and remove once hard - wouldn't take long i wouldn't have thought - I cheat and give mine breadsticks occasionally as a treat - already hard.
Jennie and Momiji

Hi Jennie,

My thoughts on a couple of yur questions. I think it is worth getting a brush to groom your bun. I don't know how long you've had him but my buns seem to like it and it is very, very useful when they're moulting. Secondly, I wouldn't worry about the toast. There's two schools of thought on this one i.e. that food processed for humans is good for buns as a treat and that it isn't. Sounds like he's eating the right thing as he's chowing down on hay so I'd be tempted to keep up the good work there and forget abut the toast.

Hopefully the gurus will answer your questions soon.

Hiya

With regards to bedding, a lot of people who keep indoor bunnies use vet bed as it's really comfy for buns to sit on and also absorbs any urine so they aren't sitting on wet bedding! I also have cat beds for two of my buns (and they are outdoor buns!) They love them and Pippa sits in hers nearly all day!
Sawdust can cause respiratory problems, I don't use it with mine and u mite also find that using vetbed or other bedding makes it easier for you to clean!! Is he litter trained? Obv make sure there is plenty of hay available for him to eat as this is the staple part of his diet :)

I would def invest in a brush as even my short haired buns appreciate a groom during moulting. Less hair for you to clear up round house as well :)

Nicola

I use Febreeze on their rubber-backed mat but other than that I don't use an air freshener as I use a compressed sawdust pellet -type cat litter and change it every couple of days which absorbs the odour - I don't notice a smell and I keep pestering guests to tell me if it does smell! Sometimes after eating cabbage they do pong - so I change the litter tray straight away! I put hay on top of the pellets in their litter tray that way they eat while they poo. They also get fresh hay from a hay ball or put in a cardboard box with a couple of holes cut out.

As far as I am aware the actual human cold virus can't be caught by rabbits. We can get pasturella but not sure if it is the same species that rabbits harbour. I think a bacterial chest infection could be passed to the rabbits but I am not sure.

Rabbits do not get colds so if they are sneezing it is probably snuffles caused by pasturella - a completely different organism (bacterial not viral like the common cold).

I leave bread ends out on the work top turning daily to dry out and feed small bits as treats or ocassionally they get a slice I have burnt (Zeus' breeder said this was fine for him).

Caz

P.S. I have a cat moutling slicker-brush for my normal haired rabbits and a soft nylon brush for grooming the rexes, the do seem to enjoy the extra attention!!

Where can I get megazorb from? And I'm in the process of littertraining now. It's hard because that he's leaving "currents" all over the floor which -as I've read- means he's still marking his teratory. Lots of sweeping up to do! :roll: :lol:

I don't mind. Rather than paying to go to a gym, I have my bun! A much more enjoyable way, I think. :D

Oh! When is the best time to start bonding another rabbit? He's about 9 weeks old now. Should I wait until he's old enough to get neutered or can I do it now? I want another male bunny so there won't be any unexpected pregnancies!

I live in East London so I also want to know where I can take Momiji to meet other bunnies and maybe be able to take his best match home. Anyone know where I can do this? I don't want Momiji to be lonely when "mummy and daddy" are away.

And I want to know the best way of bunny-proofing the whole flat. I live in a one bed flat.

I'm really being a pain now, aren't I? :oops:

Caz, Febreeze has been linked to deaths in dogs, so it's kind of avoided. Think it can cause liver failure. I know they show their ad with a dog in it. I will have a look and see if I can find the proper info on that.

Hi Aerry, Personally I don't agree with burnt toast being ok. As far as I am aware when food is burnt, the burnt bits contain carcinogenics (sp?) which are the cancer causing baddies. I prefer, if feeding toast you cook it slowly at a low temp so it browns a little but hardens. Think my freind used to do it at 180 for about 30 mins maybe more. I've never done it myself but have seen it after my freind has made it and it looks just like the stuff you can buy from bunnymail etc. As Towsbuns said its a processed human food so should really just be a treat.
Bonding wise, 2 males can be done but it takes longer and is a bit harder than male to female bonding. Its best to wait until Momiji is old enough to be castrated before bonding which ever sex you want to try him with.
Eating hay is the best thing for Momiji and if he eats lots keep encouraging him, it should make up around 80-90% of his diet with the rest of it being dried food if you want to feed that and veggies.
Grooming is a brilliant idea, not only will you bond with him but he'll be more used to being handled making it easier on you for vet trips, grooming and essential bunny cuddles :D

Angela

My house bun doesn't like sleeping/lying on hay at all. He loves to eat it and likes it in litter try (bit of nibbling while....!!!). He had a vetbed but not that keen on it apart from trying to sabotage it!! He loves just lying out spreadeagled on the floor!!

A brush would be a good idea for grooming. Darcy hates the brush but loves being stroked, kissed and cuddled - also good options!! There is no substitute for a nose rub (to the rabbit I mean! :D ).

Neuturing I think is three months for boys. Best ask Tam/Adele that one tho!

Love Romy xxxxxxx :D

:? Hmmmm not overly sure on the febreeze thing to be honest found this on www.environmentalhealth.com

FEBREZE Fabric Refresher Manufacturer: Procter & Gamble, Cincinnati, OH 45202, 800308-3279 _________________________________________________________________________________

LABEL: “Ingredients: Contains odor neutralizers, quality control agents, perfume and water.” USE ONLY AS INTENDED. AVOID ACCIDENTS. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. Do not spray directly toward face. If eye contact occurs, rinse well with water.” ________________________________________________________________________

Comment: Now: what is in it? If Febreze is so safe, why these warnings in capital letters? On the Proctor and Gamble web site about Febreze the manufacturer writes, and I quote, exactly from the print-out dated 11/17/99, “Like any household cleaning product, Febreze should be kept out of the reach of children and pets. When using the product, be careful to spray away from your face, other people and pets.” According to numerous web sites, Febreze contained Zinc Chloride. According to the Consumer’s Dictionary Zinc Chloride is “a zinc salt used as an anti-septic and astringent in shaving creams, dentifrice, and mouthwashes. Also used in fireproofing, soldering fluxes, burnishing and polishing compounds for steel, and for electroplating, mercerizing and sizing: in adhesives, dental cements, glass etching, parchment, embalming anti-static products, and as a denaturant for alcohol. Odorless and water absorbing, it is employed as a deodorant and disinfectant, Can cause contact dermatitis, is mildly irritating to the skin, and can be absorbed through it.” Several web sites claim that Febreze caused the death of birds and dogs and sickness in other pets. Procter & Gamble on their web site states that these reports could not be substantiated. Procter & Gamble also states on their own web site http://febreze.com/html/pet_rumor.html that zinc chloride WAS in Febreze, but was taken out in December 1998. Comment: The label was not changed. How do I know which bottle has zinc chloride in it? See http://cambear.onza.net/febreeze.html http://www.highwayq.com/wpt/articles/library/febreeze.htm http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&UN=doc&CO=20&FORM=MSNH&MT=febreze

Note that there is no MSDS published on the Procter & Gamble web site. Procter & Gamble enlisted the NAPCC, the National Animal Poison Control Center) to come to their defense. In a letter dated March 26, 1999 they write (see http://www.napcc.aspca.org/febreze.htm ) “Veterinary toxicologists at the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center are conducting an on-going investigation into claims that use of Febreze caused the death of several pets. All information reviewed to date suggests that there is no evidence that Febreze represents any risk to pets when used according to label instructions. Presently, the center considers the product safe to use in households with pets. AS WITH ANY CLEANING PRODUCT, THE CENTER RECOMMENDS THAT BIRDS BE REMOVED FROM THE ROOM UNTIL THE PRODUCT APPLICATION HAS DRIED AND THE AREA HAS BEEN VENTILATED.” (Emphasis added.) Comment: WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? I suggest that everyone will have to draw his or her own conclusions.
Tried looking up the addresses given but they're no longer available.
Angela

Thanks everyone! Now, where can I take Momiji "speed dating" -only without the "speed" I guess :lol: - Somewhere close to Walthamstow would be ideal.

Or is there a list somewhere on the net to find this out?

Have a look on Rabbit Rehome the link is up the top of the page click on the logo and then go to A-Z Rescues and see if theres one near you.

Angela

Mine all love being brushed, I have different brushes for different things.

Mine love bunny toast, but as mentioned it should not be burnt or toasted, but baked. I cut mine out with a pastry cutter and sprinkle with herbs, I put it in the over with what ever else is being cooked until it is rock hard. It should also be wholemeal. Bunny toast is their favourite treat of all.

I had my bunnies neutered at 14 weeks, it depends on when their testicals drop. It would be easier to bond to a female, males can be hard to bond unless they are together from a very young age. A speyed female would be a better option.

Hope you're enjoying being a bunny mummy so far,

I take their mat outside - hang it over the washing line - scrub it over with a semi-wet cloth covered in fairy liquid then spray Febreeze anti-bac on it. When it is dry I put it back - I do this roughly once a month although usually less often as it doesn't smell too bad.

I don't apply it while they are on it and make sure it is dry before they go back on it - like the instructions say. When it says keep out of reach of pets and children it means don't let them drink it/spray it in their eyes ;) . In theory as long as the instructions are properly followed it should be safe to use. I certainly make sure I never spray it near them or near their drinking water/food as with any household cleaner it is probably harmful when ingested. Their mat has a very short pile and isn't eaten/chewed ;) !

There is a list on the main RR site of rescues by area: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

Caz

Edit: oops you got there before me Angela!

P.S. Humans eat burnt toast ;) and yes it does contain a small amount of carcinogens but you would have to eat a heck of a lot of burnt toast before you get any where near the levels found in many other common household items (wasn't there a scare about Ryvita). Seen as I burn toast once in a blue moon I don't think it does him any harm to have some of it as it is on the list supplied by the breeder of "safe treats". Otherwise it would go out for the birds - now I am wondering whether I will be giving them cancer :p !

I've been using febreeze on the carpet to from time to time, it hadn't even occured to me that it might not be good for bunnies! :oops:

Angela, I remember a big discussion about Febreze on another list I am on, a long time ago, and I know I would never use it, but cannot recall all the details now...... :?

As for colds - rabbits don't get the 'human' version of colds that we do. They can and do get 'snuffles' and this is a different thing......there are very few things that are zoonotic (passed from rabbits to humans) but colds are not one of them.

Neutering for males is usually done at 4 months, unless the testicles have descended earlier and there is a pressing reason to do it earlier :)

Back