• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do bunnies get colds?

BugBabe

Warren Scout
The reason I ask is that my little Bob has been a bit out of sorts today, very lethargic and the like and well I had them in playing as it was chucking it down outside and he sneezed loads. They are snuggled up in bed now with all their blankies etc. Do bunnies get colds? How do they get them? and what should I do about it?
All these questions but I just want to do the right thing!

Thank you
Anna x

hi there do you mean temperature cold or not well cold (airborn).

but what do you want info on let us know and we will try to help more.

cold as in poorly cold not temperature. He has no runny nose just out of sorts and lots of sneezing. I just wondered what I should do.

Have a look at the inside of his paws. If they have stuff dried onto them it means that he has a nasal discharge that has not been obvious as he has been wiping it off.

Unfortunatly rabbits don't get the equivalent of our common cold that will clear up by itself. They get bacterial infections, most commnly pasturella, that can become chronic if they are not caught quickly enough. If a discharge is present, even if he seems to be keeping himself clean, then you really must take him to see the vet and get some antibiotic for him. Baytril is the usual one becasue many antibiotics will kill the flora in the rabbits guts that help them digest their food; they tolerate Baytril very well though.

If the bacteria gets a hold it could become impossible to get rid of and the rabbit might need to stay on Baytril most of the time. I have one of these :( Tackling this early is well worth it.

That is great thank you for your help. I will have a look when I get home and then call the vets - thry will still be open then

Just to say that Zeus appeared to have no obvious discharge on his face or paws but the sneezing gave it away for me, it was only at the vets when she was trying to look into his mouth that he snorted (in disgust I think) and a load came out - it was the first time I had seen any on him!

Caz

Could also be caused by something up his nose, such as a grass seed from hay or something.
Definitely go see a vet to find out which it is.
Hope he's ok

Back