• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting question...

Suzi Wong

Mama Doe
Jasper is moulting like crazy, the house is like a fog with rabbit hair.

For the last few weeks we have been putting a blanket over his cage at bedtime because the living room gets quite draughty, could this be making him too hot and causing the moult or is it normal for this time of year ?

On average, rabbits moult every three months. If they're house rabbits, this moult tends to not correspond with seasons at all, as they don't really experience seasons when in an indoor environment. One of my lecturers mentioned that the moults tend to be heavy, then the next light, then heavy again, and so on. Could be that!

Does he seem too hot in there to you? I have a thermometer hanging at the side of the cage(s) to keep an eye on the temperature, perhaps you should give that a go?

I don't know if they've got an ideal, but according to my notes, they should be comfy between 4 and about 21 degs C. I never let mine get over 21, I'll open the window and freeze if I have to. Anything over 21 (or 24 according to another textbook, 27 according to another, I'd go with 24) can cause heatstroke, which is potentially fatal. I think 21's a bit exaggerated, would expect it to be more like 24-27...

I am also concerned as Totti is on a mega moult and its seems to be stupid time to be shedding your coat... would have thought at this time of year, he needs all the fur he can get.

Here its been relatively mild so far. Last night was about the first time its dropped below 5 degrees. Maybe they are getting thicker coats inpreperation for the colder weather that we'll probably see in abit.

Indoor bunnies often seem to have odd moults just for the sake it :)

Tam

Tamsin said:
Indoor bunnies often seem to have odd moults just for the sake it :)

Hmmmm, has mommy just got the whole flat cleaned up and all of Harry's fur scraped out of the carpet??? Good, then we'll lose some hair! Let's gooooooo!!!!

lol maaike :lol:
My fluffy seems to be in moult as well just now. But then he rarely stops.. he just loses more some weeks than others lol :lol: :lol:
Right now i get 2 handfuls out each time i groom him.. usually its only about half a handful :lol: :lol:

luvabun said:
I am also concerned as Totti is on a mega moult and its seems to be stupid time to be shedding your coat... would have thought at this time of year, he needs all the fur he can get.
Hi, He'll moult out his thinner coat as he has a beautiful thick wooly one on it's way to keep him even warmer ;)

It shoul not be needed a blanket the rabbit will get too hot they have coats and dont get as cold as u think, just ensure that they are not in a direct draught. val

Back