• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Register

Is your rabbit registered?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
:roll: My rabbits; two! one is a mini rex. He is registered but I don't know how to see thoughs records and dont know how he got registered by his old owner...

Plus my other rabbit is a mixed netherland dwarf/dwarf mix... I would like to register her so I can show her and breed her but I dont think I can.

When I breed rabbits what records do I keep? How do I keep them? Where do I get started? HELP!

As far as I am aware you can show your first rabbit if he has been rung (is that what you mean by registered - he is wearing a ring on one of the hind legs or has an ear tattoo) in the appropriate catagory at a show i.e. the mini-rex catagory. I think you have to prove you own him though i.e. some sort of transfer from the breeder saying where you got him from and that he now belongs to you.

Your second rabbit can only be shown in the pet class if there is one at your local show because rabbits have to be rung from birth if they are to be shown and they have to be a pure breed to be shown in any of the normal classes.

It is not recommended to breed from a rabbit you don't know the background of - if you have the pedigree from the first rabbit you can breed from him but you shouldn't breed from your female.

I believe the best way to get started is to purchase rabbits from existing breeders that are in no way related so you know their pedigree then register with the BRC (british rabbit council) http://www.thebrc.org/ from which you can buy rings for any kits you produce.

I am not a breeder but am sure one of them will be along soon to explain better ;) !

Caz

Edit: Just realised you are in American - the BRC will probably be able to put you in touch with the American equivalent and the info on getting started http://www.thebrc.org/newneed.htm is still sound! Try doing a search on the internet for local rabbit clubs (try and avoid 4-H as their advice is pretty poor and they just encourage breeding with any old rabbit then just getting rid of the rabbits when you have got your badge).

If u ring the british rabbit council and give them the ring number they can tell u who breed it. If u then want to show that rabbit u ask tbrc if u can transfere him into ur mame if a member , this will cost £3. If you showed him without this and were found out u would be in trouble, and possibly fined. val. ps as u know rabbits are rung at about 5_6 weeks old depending on breed.

Back