• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Uh oh [emoji32]

LexiRae24

New Kit
My two rabbits are 2.5 months old - a brother and sister (half). They’ve been vaccinated but the vet wouldn’t book in neutering because they were under 2kg and still possibly are. They said to call back when they are 3 months.

Last night, I caught the male humping his sister.

I’m in complete panic. Even though she is too young to conceive and he is too young to be fertile, I’m getting conflicting advice online with some saying as young as 3 months pregnancy is possible while others say it’s so slim it’s almost impossible. What if they’ve been doing this beforehand and I’ve not seen it? I flipped him over but his fur is thick and black and it’s hard to tell if his testicles have dropped. Her bits aren’t red or swollen so I think that’s a good thing.

He’s also aggressively grooming her face and ears. She keeps backing her butt into a corner.

I feel terrible. I thought I was doing everything right.

Please can anyone put my mind at rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may need to separate them just to be on the safe side. Even if the female is not fertile yet the attention from her brother could cause fights. I would keep them separate until you can neuter the male (should be possible from 3 months) and then a further 6 weeks to allow his hormones to calm down. It's also worth having the female neutered to avoid cancer later in life.

You may need to separate them just to be on the safe side. Even if the female is not fertile yet the attention from her brother could cause fights. I would keep them separate until you can neuter the male (should be possible from 3 months) and then a further 6 weeks to allow his hormones to calm down. It's also worth having the female neutered to avoid cancer later in life.

Ditto to this advice x

Just to add to the good advice you've already received. How rabbit savvy is your vet? I ask because it's not usual to wait until rabbits weigh 2kgs before neutering either sex. Very many rabbits will never weigh that much because of their breed.

Male rabbits can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop, which can be around 10-12 weeks. It's best to wait a little longer for females, who can be ideally done around 6 months of age.

I think I would be questionning whether your vet is experienced with rabbits and if not then try to find one who is.

Thanks that’s really helpful :)

Just to add to the good advice you've already received. How rabbit savvy is your vet? I ask because it's not usual to wait until rabbits weigh 2kgs before neutering either sex. Very many rabbits will never weigh that much because of their breed.

Male rabbits can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop, which can be around 10-12 weeks. It's best to wait a little longer for females, who can be ideally done around 6 months of age.

I think I would be questionning whether your vet is experienced with rabbits and if not then try to find one who is.

Okay I’ll look into this thanks :)

Back