• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blocked tear duct

Orenoko

Mama Doe
About a month ago Lilac went to the vet and it turned out she had a blocked tear duct (I wasn't sure if it was that or an infection initially). We tried drops for a few weeks, it worked initially but it looks like it's come back, so I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and get her booked in to have her ducts flushed. Never had a rabbit with this before, is it likely to be a recurring problem? Are some rabbits more prone than others? She's a mini lop with quite a flat face.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

My nethie - Henry has a very similar condition - the only difference with Henry is that he doesn't have a tear duct so Henry's treatment may differ slightly - but his symptoms will be similar to Lilac.
Having ducts flushed is, as far as I understand, a relatively simple procedure and doesn't usually involve any anaesthetic as such. It's a syringe with a long silicone thin tube which is then inserted through the eye socket and the tube follows the duct canal and then saline is flushed. The blockage should come out through the nose. And that's the positive result. It takes only a matter of minutes.
Is it likely to recurr? Percentage wise, probably. In Henry's case, because he doesn't have that duct, then infection is always a side effect because normally the tear duct would direct tears and fluid down to the nose and it would evaporate. But the eyes are warm and moist and an infection risk is always there I'm afraid. But - as long as your vigilant, then you can react quickly. Treatment if there is an infection, is usually simple and is a course of 3-4 penicillan injections which have to be done 24 hours apart at the same time every day for 3-4 days. It clears any infection quickly.
You just need to watch for any discharge - white goop on or around Lilacs eyes and surrounding fur. Try and wipe away as much as you can with a piece of cotton wool (damp) and dry it if Lilac will let you.
As long as you manage it and maintain a watch, then you will be best placed to act quickly. As far as I know, this will be a long term condition.
Hope this helps
Craig

My nethie - Henry has a very similar condition - the only difference with Henry is that he doesn't have a tear duct so Henry's treatment may differ slightly - but his symptoms will be similar to Lilac.
Having ducts flushed is, as far as I understand, a relatively simple procedure and doesn't usually involve any anaesthetic as such. It's a syringe with a long silicone thin tube which is then inserted through the eye socket and the tube follows the duct canal and then saline is flushed. The blockage should come out through the nose. And that's the positive result. It takes only a matter of minutes.
Is it likely to recurr? Percentage wise, probably. In Henry's case, because he doesn't have that duct, then infection is always a side effect because normally the tear duct would direct tears and fluid down to the nose and it would evaporate. But the eyes are warm and moist and an infection risk is always there I'm afraid. But - as long as your vigilant, then you can react quickly. Treatment if there is an infection, is usually simple and is a course of 3-4 penicillan injections which have to be done 24 hours apart at the same time every day for 3-4 days. It clears any infection quickly.
You just need to watch for any discharge - white goop on or around Lilacs eyes and surrounding fur. Try and wipe away as much as you can with a piece of cotton wool (damp) and dry it if Lilac will let you.
As long as you manage it and maintain a watch, then you will be best placed to act quickly. As far as I know, this will be a long term condition.
Hope this helps
Craig
Thank you, all I knew was she would probably need to be sedated so I wasn't sure what else was involved. She isn't the best patient so it could be fun! She's not super keen on letting anyone touch her face so although I try to clean her eye more often than not she runs off [emoji849] they just don't know when you're trying to help them sometimes!

About a month ago Lilac went to the vet and it turned out she had a blocked tear duct (I wasn't sure if it was that or an infection initially). We tried drops for a few weeks, it worked initially but it looks like it's come back, so I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and get her booked in to have her ducts flushed. Never had a rabbit with this before, is it likely to be a recurring problem? Are some rabbits more prone than others? She's a mini lop with quite a flat face.

Recurrent dacryocystitis (runny eyes) can be a symptom of dental/tooth root problems. Tooth root elongation can lead to the tooth root pressing on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) causing 'runny eyes' and possibly secondary infection.

Tooth root problems can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs, it is not possible to rule the condition out just by looking into the Rabbits mouth and examining the crowns of the teeth.

tB8kdlE.jpg

Brachycephalic breeds such as mini lops are especially prone to tooth root problems

''Sadly, rabbits have also fallen foul of the human desire for shorter, ‘cuter’ faces
. Richard Saunders, head vet at RWAF, said,

Breeds like the Netherland dwarf and the popular Lionhead breed have become more and more brachycephalic. In rabbits this is disastrous. Rabbits’ teeth grow continuously throughout their whole lives and must line up exactly to wear down evenly. The short face means the bottom jaw is longer than the top one, just the same as in bulldogs and pugs and the teeth do not line up. Teeth soon overgrow causing chronic pain, lacerated mouths, abscesses and in many cases death. The tear duct is also distorted (as it is in brachycephalic cats) and the rabbits often have tears and even pus overflowing onto their faces. Hand in hand with the short faces come the lop ears, rather than the wild, natural upright ears. These rabbits have a high level of middle ear infections and can’t communicate with other rabbits normally, leading to behavioural problems. We would like to see an end to selection for “cute” faces and lop ears, and to preferentially breed rabbits with a more “wild type” face shape, which is associated with far fewer genetically induced diseases.”

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/charities-unite-to-highlight-brachy-health-issues/

Some additional information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/eye/cannulating-tear-duct/view

Personally I would request skull radiographs are taken when Lilac has her tear ducts flushed. Good luck

Last edited:
Recurrent dacryocystitis (runny eyes) can be a symptom of dental/tooth root problems. Tooth root elongation can lead to the tooth root pressing on the nasolacrimal duct (tear duct) causing 'runny eyes' and possibly secondary infection.

Tooth root problems can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs, it is not possible to rule the condition out just by looking into the Rabbits mouth and examining the crowns of the teeth.

tB8kdlE.jpg

Brachycephalic breeds such as mini lops are especially prone to tooth root problems

''Sadly, rabbits have also fallen foul of the human desire for shorter, ‘cuter’ faces
. Richard Saunders, head vet at RWAF, said,

Breeds like the Netherland dwarf and the popular Lionhead breed have become more and more brachycephalic. In rabbits this is disastrous. Rabbits’ teeth grow continuously throughout their whole lives and must line up exactly to wear down evenly. The short face means the bottom jaw is longer than the top one, just the same as in bulldogs and pugs and the teeth do not line up. Teeth soon overgrow causing chronic pain, lacerated mouths, abscesses and in many cases death. The tear duct is also distorted (as it is in brachycephalic cats) and the rabbits often have tears and even pus overflowing onto their faces. Hand in hand with the short faces come the lop ears, rather than the wild, natural upright ears. These rabbits have a high level of middle ear infections and can’t communicate with other rabbits normally, leading to behavioural problems. We would like to see an end to selection for “cute” faces and lop ears, and to preferentially breed rabbits with a more “wild type” face shape, which is associated with far fewer genetically induced diseases.”

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/charities-unite-to-highlight-brachy-health-issues/

Some additional information here :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

http://veterinarymedicinejournal.usamv.ro/pdf/vol.LVIII_4/Art16.pdf

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/eye/cannulating-tear-duct/view

Personally I would request skull radiographs are taken when Lilac has her tear ducts flushed. Good luck
Thanks Jane I will ask the vet about this when she's booked in. Touch wood she's been fine with her teeth, having been through so many dentals with Teddy before he died I really hope she's not affected as well.

From what I have read it can be recurrent and something which has to be lived with. Or it could be as Jane says. Good luck at the Vets.

From what I have read it can be recurrent and something which has to be lived with. Or it could be as Jane says. Good luck at the Vets.
Thanks, I spoke to them this morning and she's going in first thing tomorrow.

My Pandora has chronic nasal infections. She got a blocked duct twice, possibly in part from the discharge in her nose blocking the tube from the eye as well as an eye infection potentially related. Flushing solved the problem both times and was well tolerated. She's been on depocillin injections for her usual symptoms and so far no reoccurrence.

Back