• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions about RHD + 2

loobers25

Warren Veteran
So this is something that keeps going round and round in my head.

"High risk"

I don't quite understand how it transmits but surely If we buy hay and forage from allover the UK then everything is a risk? Surely we can't say my area isn't effected yet but who is to say our forage etc has come from a high risk area. I've had hay from different places with wildie poop (prior timothy hay. Co.uk days).

My understanding is mxy is transmitted via mozzies etc..

If I am wrong would someone mind explaining to me without links and pictures because I really do get myself worked up

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sadly, you are not wrong. The risk is everywhere and that included hay as wild rabbits will be living in hay meadows. About all we can do to minimise the risk is vaccinate as they must have hay etc.

There's obviously a higher risk if it's known that the virus is active in that area eg a rabbit down your street has just died of it but the risk is still there on a lesser level from everything else you bring in.

It's one of those things you could drive yourself mad with. One of my rabbits was at the vets in a kennel next to a rabbit that died of it - this was before we had the vaccine. I've never been so scared of losing them all. I just have to tell myself that I've vaccinated so I've done everything possible.

Last edited:
Both Bunny Buddy and Shimmer have given you good advice. Vaccinating and keeping up to date with Boosters is the main thing we can do to try to protect our Rabbits. The frequency of the boosters (6 months or 12 months for Filavac. 6 months or 9 months for Eravac) is something that needs to be judged by a Rabbit Savvy Vet, taking into account the specific circumstances of the individual Rabbit.

The RWAF is the best source of reliable and up to date information about how we can try to protect our Rabbits from RHD2

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/rvhd-further-reading/

If you are a member of the RWAF then you may find it helpful to have some direct contact with them. You could email your specific questions to Ros who will pass the details on to Richard as soon as possible.

info@rabbitwelfare.co.uk

Back