• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a damselfly? :)

Graciee

Staff member
n2yv9vR.jpg

7rzisg9.jpg

tjIhCh0.jpg

Blimey - did you do some work on any David Attenborugh programes as a photographer? Stunning close up images. I believ thsi is a dragonfly. Damsel flies are blue.

Blimey - did you do some work on any David Attenborugh programes as a photographer? Stunning close up images. I believ thsi is a dragonfly. Damsel flies are blue.
Hahaha no I wish! I only have a standard lense on my camera, would've been better with a macro, but they cost far too much [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Ooo that's interesting I'm rubbish with insect identification haha

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

They are lovely photos of a dragonfly. Wiki says damselflies are smaller, slimmer and generally fold their wings up when at rest. It's a bit like the difference between butterflies and moths, really.

Hahaha no I wish! I only have a standard lense on my camera, would've been better with a macro, but they cost far too much [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Ooo that's interesting I'm rubbish with insect identification haha

You have got to be kidding me. You take unbelievable stunning close up images and you're complaining you don't have a macro? Holy moly - that's like me scoring 100 runs in a cricket match with a stick and me saying "I'd have scored more if I used a proper bat!". Believe you and me, you have captured such a truly wonderful moment, and also got the most incredible focus and detail. I love the way you have managed to throw out of focus the area behind the dragonfly with such perfection and skill. It draws you into the main image. Personally if I were you I'd give up the day job and do this for a living. Oh, and when the beeb want photos for this years countryfile calander - send them these. David Baily would swoon with jealousy.

You have got to be kidding me. You take unbelievable stunning close up images and you're complaining you don't have a macro? Holy moly - that's like me scoring 100 runs in a cricket match with a stick and me saying "I'd have scored more if I used a proper bat!". Believe you and me, you have captured such a truly wonderful moment, and also got the most incredible focus and detail. I love the way you have managed to throw out of focus the area behind the dragonfly with such perfection and skill. It draws you into the main image. Personally if I were you I'd give up the day job and do this for a living. Oh, and when the beeb want photos for this years countryfile calander - send them these. David Baily would swoon with jealousy.

Oh that's very kind of you to say. I wish I could do photography for a job :) not sure I could ever submit my images [emoji38] thank you for saying that tho :)

YES to all this! I use the macro setting on my camera a lot but even with the prime lens I often lack the right conditions etc.! Natural always trumps learned skill :lol: I sent some photos for the calendar once (2006) but they never got anywhere :)

Also thanks to Mervinius for the ID: I'm slowly getting used to dragonflies but I've just managed to get the major species of bumblebee and their mimics down to pat :D Still not sure whether bumblebees or dragonflies are my favourite insect.

Back