• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Desperate for help!

Hello Bunny Lovers

I'm in desperate need of help. I've owned bunnies for 25 years and never come across this before. Approx a month ago, one of my bunnies started losing weight yet all her behavior still appeared normal..eating, drinking and pooping. Her poops were not perfectly formed as in typical pellet form but more like mini globs of poop. Not diarrhea. Soft but not muccousy or runny. A week or so went by and I was watching her closely and then noticed her mother starting to lose weight also yet at a more rapid rate. I brought them both to the Vet and Vet said clinically there was nothing obvious on exam. Teeth were also checked and were fine. Nothing obvious jumped out but they were dehydrated so fluids were given and it was suggested, they may have parasite. Went home with multi advantage which didn't work and things became more critical. Went to another small animal vet (so difficult to find a rabbit vet) and they came to same conclusion so gave me panacur to try as its better for internal parasites in rabbits. Took that home and within 3 days...bunnies declining FAST! Weight just dropping off them. Rushed the mother into emergency vet as she was severly dehyrated again and she was admitted and put on IV fluids/pain meds and given an xray which showed some gas and material in colon so they decided to treat her for GI stasis. Within hours, she passed away which was absolutely heart breaking being I was trying soooo hard to get her help and a diagnosis. I still have the second bunny whos poops are still abnormal with the odd drip of runny material. She is still losing weight but otherwise acting normally. her xray was normal. All fecals on both bunnies were negative. Vet doesnt know what else to do and neither do I sadly. I'm frustrated and terrified of losing my other bunny :( I've decided to send off fecal for culture to see if there is any bacterial growth that may be causing the problem. Ive spent $1500.00 so far and everytime I bring her back, they have no clue. I regret bringing my other one as she died shortly after being hooked up to IV which leaves me with many questions as she was sitting up in her cage prior to going to vet and then she dies at vet??? :( Anyone out there have ANY ideas or suggestions??? I'm desperate! BTW...second vet disagreed with GI stasis diagnosis on first bunny yet had no other diagnosis???

Last edited:
I am so sorry you re having a problem, I had a similar problem and the Vet advised Fibreplex, but really the rabbit did eat lots of hay. Have you thought about Coccidiosis, when I mentioned this to my Vet she said she didn't think it was that but my rabbit died before we went any further. Jack's-Jane thought it might be that. It is not easy to know exactly what is wrong. There is a similar bunny to yours on another forum which is being treated with Sulfo... can't remember the exact name, sorry. I hope your bunny recovers from this, but if not you are trying your best for her.

Hello Bunny Lovers

I'm in desperate need of help. I've owned bunnies for 25 years and never come across this before. Approx a month ago, one of my bunnies started losing weight yet all her behavior still appeared normal..eating, drinking and pooping. Her poops were not perfectly formed as in typical pellet form but more like mini globs of poop. Not diarrhea. Soft but not muccousy or runny. A week or so went by and I was watching her closely and then noticed her mother starting to lose weight also yet at a more rapid rate. I brought them both to the Vet and Vet said clinically there was nothing obvious on exam. Teeth were also checked and were fine. Nothing obvious jumped out but they were dehydrated so fluids were given and it was suggested, they may have parasite. Went home with multi advantage which didn't work and things became more critical. Went to another small animal vet (so difficult to find a rabbit vet) and they came to same conclusion so gave me panacur to try as its better for internal parasites in rabbits. Took that home and within 3 days...bunnies declining FAST! Weight just dropping off them. Rushed the mother into emergency vet as she was severly dehyrated again and she was admitted and put on IV fluids/pain meds and given an xray which showed some gas and material in colon so they decided to treat her for GI stasis. Within hours, she passed away which was absolutely heart breaking being I was trying soooo hard to get her help and a diagnosis. I still have the second bunny whos poops are still abnormal with the odd drip of runny material. She is still losing weight but otherwise acting normally. her xray was normal. All fecals on both bunnies were negative. Vet doesnt know what else to do and neither do I sadly. I'm frustrated and terrified of losing my other bunny :( I've decided to send off fecal for culture to see if there is any bacterial growth that may be causing the problem. Ive spent $1500.00 so far and everytime I bring her back, they have no clue. I regret bringing my other one as she died shortly after being hooked up to IV which leaves me with many questions as she was sitting up in her cage prior to going to vet and then she dies at vet??? :( Anyone out there have ANY ideas or suggestions??? I'm desperate! BTW...second vet disagreed with GI stasis diagnosis on first bunny yet had no other diagnosis???

I am sorry to hear that you lost one of your Bunnies :cry:

Has your Vet ruled out any possibility that the problem may be Coccidiosis, either Intestinal or Hepatic ?

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Coccidiosis_Hedgehog.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

*WARNING- very graphic images on the following link*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Hello Bunny Lovers

Welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear of your worries and concerns.
Losing a bunny is truly heartbreaking :(

I agree with tonibun, as she has suggested it might be coccidiosis. I think she may have a point there.

There's some more info on it here, but there's some gruesome images, so please be warned!

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Thanks for replies...

Vet did do 2 fecals a week apart for evidence of parasites and coccidia and all proved negative. Also did xrays which came back normal with no concerns. Hepatic Coccidosis is usually evident on xrays as liver and gallbladder enlarged. There are no clinical signs of coccidia infection other than weight loss. No blood/mucus in feces, no profuse diarrhea, no change in eating/drinking habits. Its bizarre. Vet gave me meds for coccidia even tho fecal negative as he was out of ideas but I havent administered it yet...I'm hesitant given he has no confidence this is what it is. Bunny behaviour normal other than extreme weight loss and soft blobby poops - semi formed...not diarrhea. I've sent feces for "culture" today to see if anything grows from it. After that..???? I feel so helpless. I've never been this stumped before. I provide the utmost best husbandry and conditions and diet for my bunnies. I've also got them on probiotics and digestive support.

Vet did do 2 fecals a week apart for evidence of parasites and coccidia and all proved negative. Also did xrays which came back normal with no concerns. Hepatic Coccidosis is usually evident on xrays as liver and gallbladder enlarged. There are no clinical signs of coccidia infection other than weight loss. No blood/mucus in feces, no profuse diarrhea, no change in eating/drinking habits. Its bizarre. Vet gave me meds for coccidia even tho fecal negative as he was out of ideas but I havent administered it yet...I'm hesitant given he has no confidence this is what it is. Bunny behaviour normal other than extreme weight loss and soft blobby poops - semi formed...not diarrhea. I've sent feces for "culture" today to see if anything grows from it. After that..???? I feel so helpless. I've never been this stumped before. I provide the utmost best husbandry and conditions and diet for my bunnies. I've also got them on probiotics and digestive support.

You seem to be doing everything you can.

Would you consider getting a second opinion on this?

I'm sorry about your buns and unfortunately have no advice but wondered if a urine test had been done/ might show anything. Sounds like you have done every other test possible

Back