• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks - Penicillin Injections?

gemmaloveslugs

Young Bun
Hi

My bunny has been suffering with sore hocks for quite a long time, it's been a case of maintaining them and keeping her comfortable on Metacam and as soft bedding as possible and putting F10 on her feet with very regular vet checks and helpful tips from the forum members.

I'm now with a rabbit savvy vet at All creatures healthcare and she was so helpful, in ten days she has her next appointment to possibly have swabs taken to check for any bacteria that could be under the skin and she said an option would be Penicillin injections, has anyone had experience with injections at all and found it to help with sore hocks?

Hi

My bunny has been suffering with sore hocks for quite a long time, it's been a case of maintaining them and keeping her comfortable on Metacam and as soft bedding as possible and putting F10 on her feet with very regular vet checks and helpful tips from the forum members.

I'm now with a rabbit savvy vet at All creatures healthcare and she was so helpful, in ten days she has her next appointment to possibly have swabs taken to check for any bacteria that could be under the skin and she said an option would be Penicillin injections, has anyone had experience with injections at all and found it to help with sore hocks?

Whether Penecillin Injections would help depends on whether the bacteria involved in the infection are sensitive to Penicillin. A swab from the wounds for MC+S testing could provide the Vet with some information about that.

Has the Vet established a primary cause for the sore hocks ? Sorry if you have mentioned all the details on another thread.

Whether Penecillin Injections would help depends on whether the bacteria involved in the infection are sensitive to Penicillin. A swab from the wounds for MC+S testing could provide the Vet with some information about that.

Has the Vet established a primary cause for the sore hocks ? Sorry if you have mentioned all the details on another thread.

Thank you for the reply, it was unfortunately my fault as it was caused by me using carpet in her enclosure, i was unaware of rabbit hock problems at the time and i have wasted a lot of time with vets who didn't know enough about rabbits, but this vet seems very well informed which is a relief as she has given me lots more options than my previous vet.

Hi

Hi gemma :)

Yes, swabs would be a good idea to see whether the bacteria are responsive to penicillin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm
(** warning: graphic images)

If so, then certainly Pen injections would be a good way to go.

Are they really bad at the moment?

Hi gemma :)

Yes, swabs would be a good idea to see whether the bacteria are responsive to penicillin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm
(** warning: graphic images)

If so, then certainly Pen injections would be a good way to go.

Are they really bad at the moment?

Hi :wave:

One hock is worse than the other, the bad one looks very much like the picture in your link ( the Paula Carter one) have you had any success with Penicillin injections as from what the vet has said there is some risk involved? is it a case that if Penicillin is needed for the type of bacteria, it kills that but the hock will still be managed by soft bedding and pain relief? It's such a worry that they can get worse. As for the bandaging, i actually tried that as recommended on here before, that was an epic fail, that little lump had them off in seconds :roll: i spend days collecting her fur and padding it to her hock in a bandage but she was having none of it. Bunnies really don't make the healing process easy do they lol

Hi :wave:

One hock is worse than the other, the bad one looks very much like the picture in your link ( the Paula Carter one) have you had any success with Penicillin injections as from what the vet has said there is some risk involved? is it a case that if Penicillin is needed for the type of bacteria, it kills that but the hock will still be managed by soft bedding and pain relief? It's such a worry that they can get worse. As for the bandaging, i actually tried that as recommended on here before, that was an epic fail, that little lump had them off in seconds :roll: i spend days collecting her fur and padding it to her hock in a bandage but she was having none of it. Bunnies really don't make the healing process easy do they lol

I have had a lot of success with injectable Penicillin for loads of issues :) There is very little risk, as the drug doesn't upset the stomach on the whole, and is well tolerated.

Is there a lot of fur on the worse looking hock?

I have had a lot of success with injectable Penicillin for loads of issues :) There is very little risk, as the drug doesn't upset the stomach on the whole, and is well tolerated.

Is there a lot of fur on the worse looking hock?

That's good to hear, she has the little flap of fur but underneath that it's just skin and the heel part has no fur covering it :(

It's quite red with a small round pale white part on the hock, there's no bleeding or open sores luckily, her next appointment is on Wednesday so i expect they will advise to take the swabs.

I hope it gets no worse and I shall be thinking of you both on Wednesday ..x

I hope it gets no worse and I shall be thinking of you both on Wednesday ..x

Thank you very much for your advice, the results of the swabs have come back and the vet said the type of bacteria she has isn't actually treatable with Penicillin so she said to carry on for now giving Metacam and using F10, although i may browse on here and see if there are any other recommended creams i could apply because i haven't found the F10 making any difference, and take regular photos to compare every couple of days and if they get worse i can give her Baytril, she is on probiotics to keep her gut in good health for as and when she will need the Baytril.

I hope you have had a lovely Christmas x

Thank you very much for your advice, the results of the swabs have come back and the vet said the type of bacteria she has isn't actually treatable with Penicillin so she said to carry on for now giving Metacam and using F10, although i may browse on here and see if there are any other recommended creams i could apply because i haven't found the F10 making any difference, and take regular photos to compare every couple of days and if they get worse i can give her Baytril, she is on probiotics to keep her gut in good health for as and when she will need the Baytril.

I hope you have had a lovely Christmas x

You're very welcome Gemma :)

I'm not a fan of F10 myself, so I wonder if some of these creams might help?

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

You're very welcome Gemma :)

I'm not a fan of F10 myself, so I wonder if some of these creams might help?

Gill (vet at Windelsham) recommends Derbymed SCP Spray:

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Derbymed-SCP-Spray-200ml/productinfo/DERBYMSCP/
Derbymed SCP Spray 200ml is a soothing, antiseptic wound spray that removes excessive moisture from open wounds and aids in the management of cuts, sores and proud flesh.

This cream has analgesic (pain killing) properties:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s.../healx-soother-plus-topical-cream-30ml-p-7773

This has been recommended by someone on here as very good:

https://vitaltouch.com/product/natalia-baby-bottom-butter-60ml/

That's perfect thank you, i have found lots of different creams suggested on here which is a great help x

Back