• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rosie - is this just dry skin? U/D after vets

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hello all

Felt a couple of small lumpy bits on Rosie's side when stroking her so I had a look through her fur and found this bit which looks a bit flaky/scabby. I can't see anything else like this anywhere. Is it just a patch of dry skin do you think? The skin where it is doesn't look red. Or anything to worry about? It doesn't seem to be bothering her, she's not scratching or focussing any more grooming attention on that bit compared to anywhere else. She is moulting at the moment and we've been brushing her everyday (gently).

It's 3 weeks since she went onto her arthritis meds and she's been really well on them with an improved appetite and she's looking a bit stockier, so I really hope this isn't anything to worry about.

Last edited:
The 'flakeiness' does not look like classic mites and mites are usually itchy, but it's hard to be certain from a photo. Mites can occur on Rabbits who are a bit run down and as Rosie has been poorly recently it is possible that she has them. Can you gently brush out the 'dandruff' for her ? Use a soft baby brush.

Injection sites can go lumpy/flakey, but you say the area is on Rosie's side so it does not sound like it could be a local skin reaction (now resolving) to injections.

If you remain concerned then another Vet check may be a good idea. I dont think it is anything serious and hopefully it will clear up on its own. I am glad to hear that the Metacam is helping Rosie cope with her arthritis :)

Thanks Jane. I'm pretty sure it's not mites, Rosie has had them before, but just after we adopted her so years ago now. I've looked very closely and can't see anything moving. My description of the site is a bit out though, it's more her back than her side, quite close to her spine but also further back than she'd normally have her injection (which was November - could it take this long to go scabby?)

I brushed it carefully a little bit last night which she tolerated for a short time but the fur there seems to pull - I think it's because the bigger skin flakes have got fur growing through them, best way I can think to describe it is if you burn your parting and the skin comes off in a chunk, hair is growing through it. I don't want to irritate it so when she wanted to move away I just let her go.

We'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be improving, or if it starts bothering her, we'll take her to the vet. Thanks.

It looks like mites to me especially as you say it's on her back. Also. it's not always possible to see them!

Thanks Jane. I'm pretty sure it's not mites, Rosie has had them before, but just after we adopted her so years ago now. I've looked very closely and can't see anything moving. My description of the site is a bit out though, it's more her back than her side, quite close to her spine but also further back than she'd normally have her injection (which was November - could it take this long to go scabby?)

I brushed it carefully a little bit last night which she tolerated for a short time but the fur there seems to pull - I think it's because the bigger skin flakes have got fur growing through them, best way I can think to describe it is if you burn your parting and the skin comes off in a chunk, hair is growing through it. I don't want to irritate it so when she wanted to move away I just let her go.

We'll keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to be improving, or if it starts bothering her, we'll take her to the vet. Thanks.

I have to say that I agree with tonibun, and it looks like mites to me as well :)

Mites are certainly not always itchy. I've known rabbits have severe cases and not scratch one bit.

I'll be interested to see what the vet thinks x

Thank you, I've made an appointment for Rosie tomorrow evening with our preferred vet and will report back after 😊

Good luck. Glad you're seeing your preferred vet. Do you have a chair with your name on it, like I do at my vet? :)

We ought to do recently! It's hard to know what to expect when there are very experienced people on here with opposing views. Anyway, we're in with the vet at 7pm tomorrow so we'll see what she says.

Hello again, saw vet tonight (actually bit of a long story involving Ted and a curry so I ended up missing the appointment and Martyn saw vet with Rosie), not our preferred vet in the end as she was in emergency surgery. Anyway vet he saw said it is mites, she prescribed something but they didn't have any at that surgery so I need to pick some up from one of the other surgeries tomorrow. I'm not sure what it's called, but it wasn't Ivermectin. She's also put a bit of weight on (up from 1.22kg to 1.29 kg) so fingers crossed the mites will be sorted and all is well. In herself she's still a bit wobbly at times (such as when she's grooming) but apart from that she's looking more solid, she's growing a lovely new coat and she seems really well :D

Hello again, saw vet tonight (actually bit of a long story involving Ted and a curry so I ended up missing the appointment and Martyn saw vet with Rosie), not our preferred vet in the end as she was in emergency surgery. Anyway vet he saw said it is mites, she prescribed something but they didn't have any at that surgery so I need to pick some up from one of the other surgeries tomorrow. I'm not sure what it's called, but it wasn't Ivermectin. She's also put a bit of weight on (up from 1.22kg to 1.29 kg) so fingers crossed the mites will be sorted and all is well. In herself she's still a bit wobbly at times (such as when she's grooming) but apart from that she's looking more solid, she's growing a lovely new coat and she seems really well :D

Well I'm told I talk rubbish most of the time, but it's good to know that occasionally I might have some idea :lol:

I wonder if the vet has given Selamectin (Revolution) instead of Ivermectin? And more importantly - why?

I'm glad she's put on a bit of weight :D

Well I'm told I talk rubbish most of the time, but it's good to know that occasionally I might have some idea :lol:

I wonder if the vet has given Selamectin (Revolution) instead of Ivermectin? And more importantly - why?

I'm glad she's put on a bit of weight :D

The weight increase is definitely good. I phoned the vets as it was bugging me that I couldn't remember what it was called, and it's Xenex Ultra Spot On, which when I've Googled, says it's for fleas, mites, ticks and similar, for rabbits, guinea pigs and rodents. Have you used it before?

The weight increase is definitely good. I phoned the vets as it was bugging me that I couldn't remember what it was called, and it's Xenex Ultra Spot On, which when I've Googled, says it's for fleas, mites, ticks and similar, for rabbits, guinea pigs and rodents. Have you used it before?

No I haven't, and I wouldn't.

I'm glad that Rosie has put on a bit of weight. My elderly doe is also a bit wobbly at times :)

It does seem as though there have been problems with Xenex in the past :( I don't think I would be happy using it.

OK, I've called the vets back and asked if she can have the Ivermectin instead, and they've said yes. So I'm taking her back at 6.30 tomorrow for the the Ivermectin injection. She's had that before (though years ago) and no reaction so all should be ok. I have also brushed out the area and all the flaky bits seem to have gone. The skin looks normal underneath, so now I'm wondering what's going on.

These rabbits! Anyway I am glad they have agreed to give you Ivermectin, that's if you think you need it tomorrow. Maybe monitor her for a few days.

OK, I've called the vets back and asked if she can have the Ivermectin instead, and they've said yes. So I'm taking her back at 6.30 tomorrow for the the Ivermectin injection. She's had that before (though years ago) and no reaction so all should be ok. I have also brushed out the area and all the flaky bits seem to have gone. The skin looks normal underneath, so now I'm wondering what's going on.

Personally I would watch and wait, mites (if it really was mites............) can resolve without treatment. I'd keep gently grooming the area and if the skin looks healthy and no more scurf appears I would not use any chemical treatments. All an unqualified opinion of course :)

Back