• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit not peeing or pooping [become sleepy]

IMG_2431_zps9oqffmup.jpg

My rabbit Snowie is 8 and a half years old. About a month after her partner died, she became incontinent and lost bladder control. She wouldn't get up, she'd just sit there and pee, and rabbits have delicate skin so it's caused skin burns and soreness that I've had to wash and apply Vaseline to help her [even letting her lay on cotton rolls used for babies to keep her comfortable].

When I took her to the vet yesterday, and he said he couldn't feel kidney stones, and prescribed baytril for a week in the event that it was a urine infection. The baytril started working and she's less sore below, however since this morning, she hasn't peed all day, and she stopped pooping midday [her droppings became small the last couple of days] Snowie only eats lettuce and curly kale and drinks some water, I can't get her to eat pellet food or hay. Not only that, but Snowie has been very sleepy, and keeps wanting to rest.

I understand Snowie an old bunny and I'm prepared for the worst at this point, but I would like advice on what to do. I read up pineapple is good for a rabbit's gut so I've given her some of that through a syringe, but I don't know at this point if it's just her time or if there's anything else I can do. Any help is appreciated.

I would take her to a rabbit savvy vet asap as a matter of urgency. She won't be able to survive on that diet. Has she had her teeth checked, she may need a dental? Do you have any recovery food you can syringe feed her?

I would take her to a rabbit savvy vet asap as a matter of urgency. She won't be able to survive on that diet. Has she had her teeth checked, she may need a dental? Do you have any recovery food you can syringe feed her?

I was thinking of taking her first thing in the morning. I do have some recovery food that I can try giving her until then. But her teeth are fine.

And she just ate a little bit of solid food, thank god T_T

I would seek veterinary treatment asap & see how she responds to that. She is gorgeous. Good luck x

I was thinking of taking her first thing in the morning. I do have some recovery food that I can try giving her until then. But her teeth are fine.

And she just ate a little bit of solid food, thank god T_T

good she ate. I cross posted with you. Good luck at the vets. I'd keep tempting her with food in the meantime

IMG_2431_zps9oqffmup.jpg

My rabbit Snowie is 8 and a half years old. About a month after her partner died, she became incontinent and lost bladder control. She wouldn't get up, she'd just sit there and pee, and rabbits have delicate skin so it's caused skin burns and soreness that I've had to wash and apply Vaseline to help her [even letting her lay on cotton rolls used for babies to keep her comfortable].

When I took her to the vet yesterday, and he said he couldn't feel kidney stones, and prescribed baytril for a week in the event that it was a urine infection. The baytril started working and she's less sore below, however since this morning, she hasn't peed all day, and she stopped pooping midday [her droppings became small the last couple of days] Snowie only eats lettuce and curly kale and drinks some water, I can't get her to eat pellet food or hay. Not only that, but Snowie has been very sleepy, and keeps wanting to rest.

I understand Snowie an old bunny and I'm prepared for the worst at this point, but I would like advice on what to do. I read up pineapple is good for a rabbit's gut so I've given her some of that through a syringe, but I don't know at this point if it's just her time or if there's anything else I can do. Any help is appreciated.

I'm glad to hear she's eaten a little, and pee'd. However, unless she picks up remarkably well and very soon, I would take her to see your vet, who I hope is good with rabbits?

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave:

I'm glad to hear she's eaten a little, and pee'd. However, unless she picks up remarkably well and very soon, I would take her to see your vet, who I hope is good with rabbits?

Welcome to the Forum by the way :wave:

And she just pooped and ate it! God I think that pineapple juice really did the trick. She's even started eating some hay!

Back