• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Signs of a lonely bun?

Sherry96

New Kit
One of my bunnies unfourtunately passed away last night and I am fearful that his daughter (Tootsie, 3 years old) will react badly. She was born with when the pet shop missold me a male and female pair, the mother unfourtunately got a sevre chest infection last year and didn't make it.
Since she has never been left alone I worry that she may become depressed, however I have cats ans dogs so cannot bring her in. There is a neighbouring hutch with 2 more rabbits in and she can interact through the mesh but when enclosed they fight all the time.
I was wondering if there are any early warning signs of rabbit depression or any ways to try and avoid it?
I have rang the vets and the remaining rabbits have a check up next week to make sure they haven't caught anything.
I know I rambled abit, so thank you for reading, I just wanted to make sure I covered everything. I have watched someone else loose a rabbit under a similar situation and really do not wish this on my Tootsie.

One of my bunnies unfourtunately passed away last night and I am fearful that his daughter (Tootsie, 3 years old) will react badly. She was born with when the pet shop missold me a male and female pair, the mother unfourtunately got a sevre chest infection last year and didn't make it.
Since she has never been left alone I worry that she may become depressed, however I have cats ans dogs so cannot bring her in. There is a neighbouring hutch with 2 more rabbits in and she can interact through the mesh but when enclosed they fight all the time.
I was wondering if there are any early warning signs of rabbit depression or any ways to try and avoid it?
I have rang the vets and the remaining rabbits have a check up next week to make sure they haven't caught anything.
I know I rambled abit, so thank you for reading, I just wanted to make sure I covered everything. I have watched someone else loose a rabbit under a similar situation and really do not wish this on my Tootsie.

I am really sorry for your recent loss. As you cannot bring Tootsie indoors is there any way that you could try again to bond her in with your other pair of Rabbits. ? Not necessarily straight away, Tootsie may need a bit of time to come to terms with her loss. But maybe in the not too distant future. It's just that it is not ideal to have a single outdoor Rabbit longterm. As you no doubt already know, Rabbits are very social animals and they do need companionship.

As for signs of depression. These could include reduction in the amount Tootsie eats and consequently a reduction of poo output. A lack of interest in her surroundings and a preference for remaining in the enclosed area of her hutch. Unusual aggression or nervousness. Thumping, especially at night. An unusually heavy moult and the coat become dull. Possibly with signs of fur mites. Loss of litter tray habits. This list is not exhaustive and really any behaviour that is unusual for her could indicate that she is experiencing bereavement stress.

Tootsie will need additional warm bedding and a heat pad now she is on her own. Some new Rabbit safe toys could help her psychological well-being.

As previously mentioned, in the longterm personally I do not think an outdoor Rabbit should be housed alone.

Oh Sherry I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit :(

There's no doubt that bunnies get lonely, and certainly depressed after they lose a partner. I think it's harder for rabbits to be on their own when they've known companionship than if they never had.

A depressed rabbit may well keep eating, but they lack the joy in life. They don't usually exercise as much if let out and tend to sleep more huddled up and for longer periods.

Would it be possible to think about getting Tootsie a companion rabbit? Possibly longer term you may think about bonding her with your other two, but a threesome can be a time consuming and not always successful bonding.

Given it's colder weather now, immune systems may well get low, and this always runs the risk of a rabbit who is grieving getting something and not being able to shake it off.

I am glad you will be getting vet checks x

I am really sorry you lost one of your rabbits last night. We have had many bereavements over the years and most rabbits get on with it without too much sorrow. Occasionally one does seem very lonely and lost. Only you will know how she is feeling. Hopefully, she will probably perk up in a few days, especially when she realises all the food will be hers!

we tried muluple times to bond her with the other two when Rambo (the one who just passed) has been sick previously. She just refuses to allow them near her, I will try again over the next month or so since she has lived next door ti them, I hope she might be more accepting now. For now i have given her extra bedding and closed her up slightly earlier in hopes of keeping her warmer, I also made a few toys out of kitchen roll tubes and nibbles in hopes to keep her occupied. Thanks for your help I shall keep my eyes open for anything unusual :)

If the other two turn out not to be an option (make sure it's neutral territory if you do try) a rescue would probably be able to help you find a suitable new companion. Probably not til after Christmas now though.

My Belgian hare lost his lop friend a few years ago, he is now almost 8 so it's just me and him...he sleeps upstairs in my room and wanders about the house as he pleases and is very happy but then I do spend a lot of time with him as he follows me around the house...!!

we tried muluple times to bond her with the other two when Rambo (the one who just passed) has been sick previously. She just refuses to allow them near her, I will try again over the next month or so since she has lived next door ti them, I hope she might be more accepting now. For now i have given her extra bedding and closed her up slightly earlier in hopes of keeping her warmer, I also made a few toys out of kitchen roll tubes and nibbles in hopes to keep her occupied. Thanks for your help I shall keep my eyes open for anything unusual :)

Good luck with it all :)

Quick update, vets said all is fine with them so there was no bug, thankfully. And I brought them in for a half hour and all went well, there was a tiny bit of thumping but they all settled quick, Tootsie even groomed the other two. A major improvement on last time. I'm hopun she might've just been protective of her father as he was half blind. Thank you all for your help and advice it means a lot :) The hutch we have is currently 2 joined but if all goes well it can be opened into one massive hutch/run so fingers well and truely crossed for Tootise and co

I'm very pleased to see this positive update. I hope it continues to go well for them.

Back