• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mistys return from the vets!

Mia13415619

Young Bun
So I took her to the vets and explained everything. She was very helpful and agreed that cabbage was a rich food and that could of caused the toilet problem. She said that she seemed fine after examining her and then said she would be fine to proceed with vaccinations. I'm happy with the news, but since coming home misty isn't herself. She has always loved nuggets and hay but she wont touch it, and I've been encouraging it because the vet said to give her lots of fibre. She is just sitting in her bed, her poop has come back to normal, I'm just worried about her. I might be worrying to much and she might be fine, but I'm just concerned after loosing Buddy.

Opinions? :( -Thank You.

Is this the vet that you normally use and are you happy with her? If so, it might just be that Misty is a bit stressed by the vet visit. Which vaccination did she have? Does she normally get stressed when she goes to the vet? None of my rabbits will eat for a while after a vet visit, but I know that's always the case and so don't worry too much.

I think you just need to watch her very closely for the next little while and then re-assess the situation.

Sending vibes for her.

Yes it is the vet we normally have and I am happy with her service. I agree, it has been a stressful day for her. She has only ever been the vets when she was young for her first vaccinations and health check and she was more relaxed then, but she wasn't alone and without Buddy. She got the jab for mytomoxosis -Think that's spelt wrong! Thank you for your help- you've been very helpful.:)

So I took her to the vets and explained everything. She was very helpful and agreed that cabbage was a rich food and that could of caused the toilet problem. She said that she seemed fine after examining her and then said she would be fine to proceed with vaccinations. I'm happy with the news, but since coming home misty isn't herself. She has always loved nuggets and hay but she wont touch it, and I've been encouraging it because the vet said to give her lots of fibre. She is just sitting in her bed, her poop has come back to normal, I'm just worried about her. I might be worrying to much and she might be fine, but I'm just concerned after loosing Buddy.

Opinions? :( -Thank You.

It's a normal reaction for a rabbit to be 'quiet' after the novibac myxo (which is the one she had) .. This is what the vaccination data sheet says:

A transient temperature increase of 1 - 2 °C can commonly occur. A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination..

She may well be off colour for a day or so, but let your vet know if it goes on tomorrow ..

Back