• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering After Care

amylee2794

New Kit
Hello :)

My two lovely boys are being neautered tomorrow, they live outside in there hutch which is kept warm at night as the winter comes in. I've read a few after care websites that states they need to be kept in doors for 24hours, is this correct or should they be kept inside for longer? If it is longer then when is a good time to put them back outside as don't want to shock them with the tempurature change.

Thanks all xx

My two lovely boys are being neautered tomorrow, they live outside in there hutch which is kept warm at night as the winter comes in. I've read a few after care websites that states they need to be kept in doors for 24hours, is this correct or should they be kept inside for longer? If it is longer then when is a good time to put them back outside as don't want to shock them with the tempurature change.

Thanks all xx

I would keep them indoors for 24 hours, in a room which is warm but not overly hot. A GA will lower their BP which means they may struggle to maintain their body temperature if they are outside. Apparently temperatures are going to be sub zero overnight this week. If they are eating,pooing and weeing the next morning and bright within themselves it should be OK to return them to their outdoor accommodation. I'd provide lots of additional warm bedding and a Snuggle Safe heat pad. Hope their Op' goes well x

Thank you :) I hope so too, so nervous for them! I had heatpad on order since last week from pet planet and it still hasn't arrived so hope it comes tomorrow, if not I'll wrap a blanket around a hot water bottle :) xx

Last edited:

Thanks all xx

Hi amylee :wave:

If it will be really cold in their hutch, then yes, if you can bring them into an unheated room for a couple of nights then that would perhaps be a good idea. That said, we never had anywhere to bring our rescue neutered boys inside and they all managed fine :)

You say their hutch is kept warm at night - is it in a shed with heating?

I would bring them inside with it being so cold at the moment. You'll be able to keep a closer eye on their eating/drinking/pooing too :) It's best to keep them on something soft like a blanket/towels at first as regular rabbit bedding (eg. shavings, straw) may irritate the wound

Thank you all for your advice, the boys are at the vets now!! I think i was more nervouse than them, there indoor area has been set up for a couple of night and I'll attempt to slowly put them outside when there back to normal :)

Thank you all again! xx

Back