• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleas! Advice please

nessar

Warren Veteran
Took Annabella to the vets a week ago as I noticed a couple of scabs on her head and on closer inspection she had fleas! We weren't able to see my normal vet, so saw the new one, got Xenex spot-on and were told to come back in 2 weeks for a follow up.

I thought they had all gone after the 3rd day after application, but today I've seen another one. Does anyone know how long Xenex lasts? Or anything else I can try before I take her back next week? I don't think flea-combing will help because her fur is so dense, plus handling really stresses her out.

Been hoovering every other day, is there anything else I can do about the house? The vet said not to use chemicals as they could be toxic for her.

The problem is most fleas live in the environment and not on the animal so you really need to treat the house too. Can you take her outside while you spray he rooms she uses? We use Staykill spray which stops eggs from hatching and lasts 6 months I think

They're here as well. :(

Mine had advantage spot on and are going back in a month for a second dose, I thought there was some hazards with xenex? Vet also gave us Indorex spray to do the house with (can get it on amazon, I've bought a second can as I don't think one is gonna be enough). Has great reviews. She said to do everything; the whole house, pet bedding, beds, even clothes and to make sure to get in all nooks and crannies. Lot of work but looks like it lasts for 12 months, unlike other brands, and kills them as soon as they hatch. I have the weekend earmarked for a thorough autumn clean and spray!

Last edited:
Highly recommend indorex. It'll easily do a 3 bed house.
Do every single room , even those the animals do not go into. Hoover thoroughly before spraying making sure to get behind tv units, sofas, beds etc.
Clear any clutter from floor.
Wash sheets etc on hottest wash possible as often nicer than spraying them (Although you can spray the mattress directly)
If you have lots of soft toys, double bag them and put them into storage for 6 months.

With Indorex you can do one room at a time. Spray the room and keep all doors/windows shut for half hour, then let it air out for half hour and then you can use room as normal. Remove all animals from the room, if you have large fish tanks you can't move then cover them with a thick blanket.

Never used xenex so can't comment on that product. Advantage tends to work well but they'll probably want to do a two week treatment anyway, so I'd just go back for the second xenex as it'll save trying to do a product change between treatments.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sorry know I'm not Nessar but thanks for that advice daphnephoebe! My vet said to do clothes as well, so I was planning on spraying and airing them, would that be ok? Don't fancy washing my whole wardrobe!!!

Oh goodness I didn't realise I'd need to spray everything with flea spray!

Thank you for the advice everyone! I haven't seen any fleas since I posted this but I bet they're here somewhere!

Thank you for the advice everyone! I haven't seen any fleas since I posted this but I bet they're here somewhere!

I've only seen three, two of which I managed to kill, but vet said for every one you see there's like 100 you can't! *shudder*

Sorry know I'm not Nessar but thanks for that advice daphnephoebe! My vet said to do clothes as well, so I was planning on spraying and airing them, would that be ok? Don't fancy washing my whole wardrobe!!!
Yes, you could do that.
Or any that you could do without for 6 months you can double bag and put into storage too x

It's worth spraying anyway as the eggs can stay dormant for a good amount of time.
I routinely spray our house every year even if none of the animals have had any fleas. I tend to do it in the summer months when leaving windows and doors open isn't such an issue.

You could also try RIP flea spray for the house. It's better for asthma sufferers as it doesn't leave such a smell afterwards. It's up there with Indorex so either is a good product to use.

Still no sign of any, been checking her everyday, but we're doing the house and taking her back for a follow-up treatment anyway to be on the safe side.

Our potential new rabbit was dropped off today as well as it was the only day her owners could do, she's come from a house with dogs so I think she'll be treated as a precaution, and she's upstairs away from Anna until we are given the all-clear by the vet tomorrow. We're getting the new bunny, Abbey, checked over tomorrow as well as Anna, because she has a lump on her genitals - I'll make a new thread about this though.

Last edited:
Back