• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hormones

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Are some buns just more hormonal than others?

The arrival of another bun in our garden sent one of mine into a hormonal rage! She is a couple of weeks post neutering now and has got used to the smells of the new girl in the garden. She still has the odd stamp and nip at her sister but apart from that she has settled down a lot. I was covering their hutch with plastic sheeting when they new girl was loose in the garden but I dont have to do that now.

The other day I came home and my new girl was sat at my 2 girls run, I was horrified as I must have left one of her doors open. My hormonal girl was actually lay down in her run :shock: Her sister was hiding in the hutch. Yesterday I let them meet between bars again but my hormonal girl was digging them so I put the new girl back in her hutch. I reckon the day they accidently ended up meeting between mesh Flopsy had got fed up of digging at the mesh.

The thing I find interesting is my new girl hasn't been neutered yet and she seems so placid even when she seeing my girls. She doesnt show any aggresion at all. Could it be that she is just desperate for company? She loves people too, always runs over when loose in the garden. I am going to get her neutered probably early spring when they weather warms up a bit.

The rabbit hiding in the hutch was probably afraid of being attacked as the new girl was loose. Coming up to the 2 girls' run the new girl could provoke Referred Aggression which is when one of a pair attacks the other. It's usually the dominant rabbit that attacks. The new girl is just inquisitive and it makes no difference whether neutered or not.

Back