• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burrowing Out!

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Foxy the little rascal has decided it's time to act like a real rabbit, and begin burrowing the lawn and maybe an escape! Only around the edges of her run, quite substantially!

What I can I do stop her digging out?

Thank you

You can put mesh down, underneath the grass but most folk have their runs on paving slabs. Do you keep the run in the same position all the time because if you do, it will eventually turn into mud. Also if the run is small, most rabbits will try to dig out to gain more territory.

The run is 8ft x 4ft with a 7ft x 3ft hutch attached.
The connecting tunnels are 12ft or 16ft or 28ft combined.

How do you prevent them getting sore feet if the run is on the patio, or another surface other than grass?

It's been fine for months, but now she has realized it's good digging potential.
The run moves around the grass once a week.

The run is 8ft x 4ft with a 7ft x 3ft hutch attached.
The connecting tunnels are 12ft or 16ft or 28ft combined.

How do you prevent them getting sore feet if the run is on the patio, or another surface other than grass?

It's been fine for months, but now she has realized it's good digging potential.
The run moves around the grass once a week.

My run is on the patio as mine dig when loose in the garden. We only let them loose when supervised as they'd be out and one neighbour has 4 dogs and the other 7!

Mine had an aviary run which was 10 x 6 at our last house. The ground turned to mud pretty fast. They had a weld mesh floor but the mud kind of softened the effect.

Perhaps you could put wire down with turf on top (although someone on here had plastic in the turf, which is quite common to hold it all together) or earth on top. They could have a separate run for supervised grass time?

Our run base is on wood, with a groundsheet underneath to try and stop the damp rising. On top of the wood is a thick layer of newspaper and on top of that is a very thick/deep layer of hay which is nice and soft for their feeties (so not to get sore hocks), they sleep in it, they play with it, and of course they eat it. They love it!

Back