• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will he remember?

Mildge

New Kit
I know this might be a silly question so forgive me.

If a bunny goes to stay at a rescue centre, to bond with another rabbit, will he remember us when he comes back with his new friend? Or will it be like starting from the beginning?
Has anybody left their rabbit at a rescue so they can do the bonding?

Our Simba who lost his brother on Saturday is worryingly quiet and withdrawn. He's eating and using the litter tray thank goodness. We're worried about him. :(

He will remember you, you are his home and his safe place :). He will remember your voice, the smells of the house and his hutch, etc. Familiarity provides comfort too.

I personally havent had a rabbit bonded at a rescue, but I think its a good idea to do it away from a place which your bunny will currently see as HIS home. So sorry to hear about Simba's brother :( my Lola became withdrawn and sad after her sister passed away. We bonded her a while later, but in hindsight should have got her a friend sooner as she perked right up after being bonded! Glad he is still eating and toileting :) hopefully having a new friend will help him with the loss of his brother.

Just to show that they do remember you as a person - Lola went into the vets for an operation, quite a big one for her age (she was 11!). They had to keep her in overnight so we went to visit her at night. She had hardly eaten, was withdrawn and depressed and sleepy, even hours after her op. Me and my boyfriend spent time with her in a consult room to ourselves. She recognised us immediately, we smell familiar (we always sent them to the vets with something that smells familiar e.g. a blanket or hay/straw from their hutch bed, as its a comfort). After an hour or so, she perked right up, had even eaten broccoli, other veg, nuggets, drank water, and been for poos. We had cuddles and she even started taking small hops around - when they brought her in she was fairly limp so this was a big improvement. When the nurses came in to see how we were doing, they couldnt believe how much she had perked up! having us there was really a comfort to her, she knew it was her mummy and daddy straight away :)

Hope this reassures you a little. Can the rescue give you updates/photos on how its going?

Last edited:
I agree. Rabbits are pretty preoccupied with each other during bonding wherever it takes place, he'll remember you for sure. Sorry to hear he is struggling x

Back