• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination timing nightmare

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hello

I had the bunnies booked in for their vaccinations this evening (they are already a couple of weeks behind :shock:) However, I've now had to book one of the bunnies in for a dental tomorrow morning and so I've cancelled their vaccination appointments.

How long do I need to wait post GA dental before I can take the bunnies for their vaccinations??

They go to the vets together so I could ask the vet to do one of the buns injections tomorrow? And then take my remaining dental bun as soon as possible when it is safe to do so?

I am assuming that there will be a few weeks leeway after the 12 month vaccination is up?? And that the vaccination cover won't just end suddenly after 12 months?

Thank you!!

Hello

I had the bunnies booked in for their vaccinations this evening (they are already a couple of weeks behind :shock:) However, I've now had to book one of the bunnies in for a dental tomorrow morning and so I've cancelled their vaccination appointments.

How long do I need to wait post GA dental before I can take the bunnies for their vaccinations??

They go to the vets together so I could ask the vet to do one of the buns injections tomorrow? And then take my remaining dental bun as soon as possible when it is safe to do so?

I am assuming that there will be a few weeks leeway after the 12 month vaccination is up?? And that the vaccination cover won't just end suddenly after 12 months?

Thank you!!

No the vaccination protection doesn't just end at 12 months :D

I think you are wise to postpone the vaccination for the dental bun. You could get the one vaccinated and then wait for the other to be fully well. Personally I would wait a full three weeks from the time your dental bunny is up and eating well, before doing the vaccination.

I'm the other way to MM - I wouldn't wait 3 weeks post dental.

I'd wait maybe a week, up to two weeks if they don't recover as quickly as I'd like but normally just a week for me personally.

I'm the other way to MM - I wouldn't wait 3 weeks post dental.

I'd wait maybe a week, up to two weeks if they don't recover as quickly as I'd like but normally just a week for me personally.

From a medical point of view, you are correct DP. Most anaesthetic will have cleared by 7 - 10 days, although it can take up to two weeks.

Where our fragile friends the rabbits are concerned, I am ultra cautious :lol:

Hello

Thank you!!

Bunnies dont like making things easy for us do they !! The protection that the vaccine gives does not just stop after 12 months. As daphnephoebe said waiting 7-10 days after the Dental before giving the vaccination should be fine. As long as your Rabbit makes an uneventful recovery from the Dental and that he/she has no other ongoing health problems. I am sure your Vet will explain it all to you and you can then make an informed decision as to how long to postpone the vaccination for.

My rabbits were due their vaccinations in July. It is now nearly September and they haven't had them yet due to various bouts of illnesses. Am I worried? Yes. But to give them vaccinations when they are under the weather for whatever reason is asking for trouble quite frankly, so I'd rather wait and basically hope for the best. All being well they will have them this weekend ... but the last time I said that, Thumper was poorly (she's only just getting better!) so we'll see!!

Thanks all - I really appreciate all the replies. I'll have a chat with the vet tomorrow and get him booked in for a couple of weeks time once he's fully recovered and hopefully she'll be able to squeeze in the non-dental bunny tomorrow for her injection. Then at least that's one of them more or less up to date.

It's the first time I've not been strictly on top of their vaccination schedule so I was feeling a bit horrified!

Thanks all - I really appreciate all the replies. I'll have a chat with the vet tomorrow and get him booked in for a couple of weeks time once he's fully recovered and hopefully she'll be able to squeeze in the non-dental bunny tomorrow for her injection. Then at least that's one of them more or less up to date.

It's the first time I've not been strictly on top of their vaccination schedule so I was feeling a bit horrified!

Sounds like a good plan Katie :D

Back