• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dangerous pens

Moonstone

Warren Scout
While we're on the subject of pens, don't buy this one:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/8_sided/95235?rrec=true

I used it as a temporary pen (was saving up for a Runaround one) for my first rabbit, Millie, a Netherland X. She tried to jump out of it, got her head caught in between the two of the round bars at the top and was left hanging from her neck. I was only letting her use the pen while supervised, I was sat right beside her when it happened and immediately lifted her off. It was obvious that her head was hanging to one side and she couldn't hold it up. I rushed her to the vet, driving through my tears, and she was rushed straight into the surgery, bless them they didn't hang around. As soon as she was out of the carrier it was clear she was now holding up her head and was looking about her as the vet examined her. She hadn't broken her neck, it was just a strain and she was given painkillers and a sedative for the shock. She was almost asleep when I put her back into her bed and fine when she woke up.

I know I'd have lost her if my back had been turned or I'd been too far from her to get there in time but it was three years ago now and she's thriving. These pens shouldn't be sold for rabbits.

I'm sorry you had that experience and I'm so glad she's okay.
Have you informed the manufacturers of the incident?

I'm sorry you had that experience and I'm so glad she's okay.
Have you informed the manufacturers of the incident?

No, I didn't, I didn't really want to think about it but I should have and I'll find out now who they are. I did write a review and I've just done another one and one for amazon too.

It was very lucky you were watching and right there! I'm so glad she's okay and may I say she is absolutely stunning! :)

Which height was it? There are 3 heights on the link. I only knew how high rabbits could/would jump when Lopsty jumped on top of his 3' run... :S

Eek that's shocking. I'm glad you were there to save her those 3 years ago.

Millie reminds me a bit of my Takumi. I think Takumi could be referred to as a Mini Rhinelander. (It's apparently a breed in development. :roll:)

Back