• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me bond with my rabbit

Ched1986

New Kit
I got my gorgeous 18 month old mini lop female house rabbit last Friday. When I visited her previously I picked her up and on the day I collected her I stroked her for a while first. She was very cuddly. When I got her home in her carrier she was frozen with fear. It was horrible. I gave her space and left her hutch open for her to come out but she didn't until she jumped out in fear when I reached in to clean her toilet tray. Since the first time she hopped out she has been in and out constantly since. However she will not be stroked or picked up and I haven't even attempted it as she is clearly saying back off!! She did take food from my hand yesterday but when I came in today I put the dreaded Hoover on for the first time since I got her and she's terrified again. How do I bond with her and make her relax? I'm planning to get her neutered in a couple of months but I don't even think I could get her into the carrier to take her to the vet. Not to mention I need to brush her so she doesn't get any hair balls. How do I help her settle in without feeling threatened. I am giving her space currently sitting on the floor not looking at her but she still won't come near me. I know it takes time and I'm willing to be patient but I'm worried she will never come round and it will be a nightmare to brush her or take her to the vets. Please help I need advice!!! I'm sure this is fairly common as she is in strange surroundings but any hints would help. This is my first rabbit

If she is 18 months old and unspayed she may be hormonal, and spaying will help with hormonal problems. You are right that you need to give her time to settle in and come to trust you, if she is eating out of your hand that is obviously a good thing. A lot of rabbits don't like being picked up or cuddled but I'm sure if she was friendly at the previous home as she is 18 months old she won't grow out of that and change like a very young rabbit might. I think she will get used to you eventually if you sit with her without making any move towards her.

Definitely spay. It will help her calm down.
You can try sitting in the room and reading out loud to her. I do this a lot with very nervous rabbits.
Also laying down so you're at ground level helps a lot as you instantly become less threatening.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I used to sit and read out loud to Milo when he was nervous. He would eventually hop over to have a nibble of my book and I think it helped him get used to my voice. Moving home can be scary so just give her time! x

You are doing everything right, she will get there in time. Food is usually a good motivator with rabbits. Good luck x

So I had her eating out of the palm of my hand last night after sitting still for a while but once she ate the food she ran away again and when I put my hand near her she almost looked like she would attack it but then ate the food and ran away. At one point I heard a tiny growl come out of her. Today she is back to being the average nervous bunny, not the petrified one from yesterday. I think the hoover really scared her, but unless she is willing to move into another room so I can hoover there isn't much I can do about the noise. I'm going to try hand feeding veggies at night and sitting near her without touching. I will get her neutered but I want to wait until October time so she has time to settle in a bit before I take her to the vet for what must be a traumatic procedure for her. Thanks all for the feedback, sounds like this behaviour might be common. x

Yes it's very common, just give her time and take it slowly until she gets used to you. Let her come to you when she's ready. You're doing the right things, sit down by her and try not to pay her attention - read a magazine or something - and eventually she'll come and see what you're doing. When she does play it cool and be generally disinterested and she'll gradually start to relax. Have treats ready, but not too many to upset her stomach, so perhaps a few sprigs of coriander, a pellet, a small (tiny cube) of apple. In this way she'll associate you with food and will get brave enough to approach. Can you delay using the hoover for a bit? Perhaps use a dustpan and brush for a bit until she settles.
I hope it all goes well :D

Yes the Hoover is a definite no no for as long as it takes now. I know every rabbit is different but any ideas how long she will continue to stay away?? Two reasons.... She's so cute I just wanna cuddle her and also she will need to be brushed in the next few weeks. I don't want her choking on her own hair! She ate out of my hand again today so I will continue to do that every day. Also I would like to get her neutered before Xmas so I'm hoping I will be able to get her into a carrier to go to the vets in the next 2 months

Some rabbits never come around to being cuddled so be prepared that she'll never be comfortable being picked up and cuddled. Keep going as you are and hopefully she'll come around to being stroked but I don't think you'll have much success until after she's neutered and her hormones have settled.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back