• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding?

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Hi, I am getting 2 rabbits from a rescue on Sunday, cant wait :)

My last 2 rabbits lived in the house and I havent had an outdoor rabbit for 12 years so just wanted to check what is best for bedding. If I rememeber rightly I used to cover whole of the floor of the hutch with shavings, put straw on top in the bedroom area and some hay in a section of the day time area leaving an area of shavings for the toilet area. Obviously I know these areas are subject to change depending on where they decide is their toilet but just wanted to check I have the right idea.

I have owned rabbits before honest. lol

I don't use sawdust, I just have newspaper covering the floor with straw in the enclosed area and a litter tray in the main section of the hutch with a hay rack next to it. Although as you say the rabbits will decide how they like it, my current foster bunny is determined to use the 'bed' area as a toilet!

Our rabbits are outdoor rabbits with a 2 story hutch. We put wire mesh on the floor, so they don't dig their way out. We put wood shavings on the second floor. We also stapled wire mesh on the wooden panels, so they don't chew their house in pieces.

Sawdust causes respiratory and eye problems due to the fine particles so it isn't recommended for rabbits these days. Straw will get eaten and isn't great for them so I would stick to Timothy hay on a newspaper base. Hay should comprise 90% of their diet so they need fresh every day and it should always be available.

It isn't advisable to put wire mesh where your rabbits will be hopping as it makes their feet and hocks sore. If you're worried about them digging out then a wire skirt under the perimeter is sufficient.

Good luck with your new bunnies, they look adorable! :love:

No sawdust here as well. I've got textured lino throughout the hutch with an underbed storage box that I use for a litter tray with Auboise on the bottow and their hay over the top. I also hide their pellets in the hay so they have to go looking for them. Used to use straw for bedding but my lot got confused and used everything as litter tray, now it's a lot easier to keep clean as I've just got the litter tray to lift out and few stray poos to clear up.

Also use fleece blankets & charity shop fluffy dressing gowns for bedding and put them in a horse rug wash bag when they need washing.

I'm stingy now, I just use an enormous (for the tiny hutch) litter tray lined with newspaper and with a layer of recycled paper pellets then hay if I feel generous ;P They do have a lino-lined playhouse with stools and a carpeted windowsill for comfort though :thumb: I line the playhouse and hutch shelf with newspaper in winter to prevent wet bums :) I used to put newspaper (6+ sheets), shavings (1/2") and hay (halfway up the door) in the hutch until I got the playhouse :)

Thanks all. I might look into putting lino down when they have settled and I know where they are going to use as their toilet :)

Sawdust causes respiratory and eye problems due to the fine particles so it isn't recommended for rabbits these days. Straw will get eaten and isn't great for them so I would stick to Timothy hay on a newspaper base. Hay should comprise 90% of their diet so they need fresh every day and it should always be available.

It isn't advisable to put wire mesh where your rabbits will be hopping as it makes their feet and hocks sore. If you're worried about them digging out then a wire skirt under the perimeter is sufficient.

Good luck with your new bunnies, they look adorable! :love:

Why is straw not good for them to eat?

Can i ask what if the bunnies eat the newspaper? Is it bad for them?

If they nibble it, that's no problem. If they sit all day eating it, that's not good. Hopefully its hidden below some delicious hay and readigrass so they won't do more than investigate it :D

It's not toxic or anything, just very filling, difficult to digest in anything but the tiniest quantities and has a very low nutritional value so it's like filling up on cardboard.

Eating straw is nothing like filling up on cardboard!

There's no problem with a rabbit eating straw. It's better as bedding than hay, but it doesn't matter if they eat it. They never fancy it as much as hay, but some barley straws can be tasty now and again :D

Eating straw is nothing like filling up on cardboard!

There's no problem with a rabbit eating straw. It's better as bedding than hay, but it doesn't matter if they eat it. They never fancy it as much as hay, but some barley straws can be tasty now and again :D

I meant in terms of nutritional value. Rabbits have tiny tums and when space is at a premium I prefer to fill it with quality stuff. Just my opinion :)

Why do you prefer it as a bedding?

I meant in terms of nutritional value. Rabbits have tiny tums and when space is at a premium I prefer to fill it with quality stuff. Just my opinion :)

Why do you prefer it as a bedding?

I don't use straw as my rabbits are all indoors, but it's more insulating than hay for outdoor rabbits.

Rabbits in the wild eat a lot of low nutritional food. Their bodies are designed to extract the nutrition and thrive on the fibre :D

I have seen them nibbling their straw but we are putting fresh hay in a few times a day as they are eating so much of it :)

Is the burgess excell litter/bedding any good?

For bedding we use megazorb, which is a soft by-product of the paper making process. It's much softer (and super absorbent) than shavings, also doesn't cause liver problems. You can get it on amazon, it's mainly used for horses but a lot of small pet owners use it now too. Imo it looks nicer and my buns have been enjoying the softness under their tums when they flop on it :)

Back