• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice or tips on syringe feeding as rabbit really really hates it

FalkirkBairn

Young Bun
Honey has been in rabbit hospital all week with a suspected stasis which she has been very prone to all her life. She is 10 now. However it turned out not to be true stasis which I suspected as she was eating sometimes and pooing tiny wee black poo. A blockage was first on the list but x-rays over the week proved this not to be the case.
It turns out the last part of her bowel is not taking in the nutrition she needs from food passing through. Also she has not been eating her sticky poo so not getting nutrition there. So she has a kind of bunny IBS. This means she needs the nutrition from Oxbow and Emeraid. Of course she hates it. The vet said she took it fine when she was in but we can't get her to take it at home.
I have tried wrapping her in a towel but she is getting so stressed I had to stop. Any tips would be welcome about getting it down her throat. We can't mix it with likes of banana I don't think because of the food problem she has. At the moment I have put some on a plate and am hoping she decides to eat it. I would be grateful for any ideas or tips.
I was also wondering if you can mix a days worth and keep it in the fridge to use as needed?

One of our bunnies was on oxbow and like yours absolutely hated it. We used to mix it up and keep it in the fridge but just be aware that it will probably need bringing to room temperature before feeding. With regards to feeding it, Willow was fairly comfortable being handled so we would cover our lap with a towel (oxbow makes a mess!) and then lay her on her back resting on our knees (yes, other rabbit owners may disagree but this worked best for Willow) and very slowly syringed a small amount of food in. She would show she had had enough by refusing more. She never really ate a lot at a time though. All rabbits are individual though so may not work for you but if Honey is comfortable with being on her back may be worth a try

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

Seems to be small amounts that work better. The vet said 20-30 mls 3-4 times a day if we can get her to take that much. Given that it sounds like she might on this for a while if not forever we are going to be at it for hours.

Are you trying to feed her in her normal environment. I know the feeling as I had the same problem with my bun.
You may find it easier to take her into a room she doesn't normally go into. Set up some sort of little table with a towel or something on and sit her on there. Let her back into you and then try. This might help as they struggle less if they are somewhere they don't know. Good luck x

As VikkiLou said it's very messy. I tried the first time with towel on my knee and holding her firmly. The stuff still went everywhere. The second time I tried on a towel on the kitchen table which was not much better. The third go was in her run on a wide shelf with a towel and a towel wrapped firmly round her but the fear was in her eyes and she was biting the towel. She was clearly distressed so I had to stop again. I would say she has taken about 1/4 of what she should have.
It's a good suggestion taking her somewhere new, my problem is she was an outdoor bun who decided to come indoors herself when her partner died. Our door has always been open so she could come and go as she pleased. She prefers outside during the day but when she had had enough she just comes in the back door. So she pretty much has the run of the house and garden lol Right now she is hiding down her burrow in case I come at her with more Oxbow or meds poor wee thing.

I had one of the nurses at harcourt-brown's show me how they do it as I also struggle. They hold the rabbit wrapped in a towel upright and close in on the left had side of their chest on their shoulder (like you might carry a very small dog) , high up so the rabbits head is at neck level then syringe in from the lefthand side of the rabbits mouth. They use a 50ml syringe holding it like you'd hold a knife to stab something (bad analogy but it works) so the plunger is at your thumb end and you can push it in with your thumb.

That's a great tip RedFraggle, will remember that for future reference! Maybe someone could start a thread putting useful tips like this all together for people to refer to as and when.

Back