• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Use of back leg

karen354

Warren Veteran
Woke up this morning and my house bun Bertie has no use of his back leg, he is dragging himself around. Bertie is 14 and I'm thinking maybe a stroke ? I'm taking him to the vets first thing but just wanted some advice. Thank you.

Woke up this morning and my house bun Bertie has no use of his back leg, he is dragging himself around. Bertie is 14 and I'm thinking maybe a stroke ? I'm taking him to the vets first thing but just wanted some advice. Thank you.

I am sorry to hear this :cry:

There are several possible causes and until a Vet examines Bertie I would keep him well confined to a small space. If he has any sort of injury moving about could make it worse.

Yes, a stroke is possible, but as I said a full examination by your Vet is needed to make a definitive diagnosis. There really are many other possible causes too.

Sending lots of vibes for Bertie xx

Last edited:

You're right Karen, and it could be a stroke.

I've had this discussion with my vet just recently, and it's notoriously difficult to diagnose a stroke. It's a matter of how he is in himself I think whether you go down the route of aggressive diagnostics and treatment, or paiilative care at this stage.

Wishing you and him loads of good vibes xx

My poor Bertie was put to sleep this morning, he had a broken his leg. The vet said his bones were very brittle due to his age and even a little hop could of caused the break. He usually has a morning run in the garden but hadn't since the other day as the weather had been too bad. The break was under his knee and wouldn't heal due to where the break was and she said because he was so old the kindest thing was pts xx

I'm so sorry to hear that. At least he lived a nice long life happy with you. Binky free Bertie ��:(:love:

Me and my husband are devastated, my poor husband has sobbed most of the day the house is so quiet I'm used to him running around and causing lots of mess.x

My poor Bertie was put to sleep this morning, he had a broken his leg. The vet said his bones were very brittle due to his age and even a little hop could of caused the break. He usually has a morning run in the garden but hadn't since the other day as the weather had been too bad. The break was under his knee and wouldn't heal due to where the break was and she said because he was so old the kindest thing was pts xx

I'm so sorry to hear this. Run free now, all well again, little Bertie xx

The vet has never met a bun as old as Bertie. She also said he was thin, he would eat and eat but due to is age we struggled to keep weight on him.

I am sorry Karen :cry:

RIP Bertie Bunny xx

I'm so sorry :cry: he certainly had a long and happy life. Binky free Bertie.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

He did have a happy life bless him, I feel so numb xx

I can imagine :cry: Bertie certainly did have a long and happy life and although it was obviously awful for you and your hubby to have to let him go today, for Bertie it was certainly the kindest and most loving thing to do. In time hopefully you will remember all the happy memories he left you, not just the great sadness that you feel today xx

The vet has never met a bun as old as Bertie. She also said he was thin, he would eat and eat but due to is age we struggled to keep weight on him.

Yes I find that with my oldies. Eat constantly but never weigh any more.

You did everything you could for the little lad. What a lovely long life you gave him :love:

He had toast and chocolate this morning, I used to allow a small piece of toast some mornings but never chocolate. He certainly enjoyed his choccie this morning he was licking his lips, I just knew today was his last. xx

Back