• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Should I spay my 3 years old doe?

renqui5691

New Kit
Good morning!
My question is the one in the title because I read in various sites that does should be spayed because tumors. Is that true? I asked a vet and he told me that that's not true. There's another vet in my city, but now I don't know what to expect. I have no problems in spaying her. But is it dangerious? Can you share your experiences with this kind of thing? And also, is her young enough to be spayed? Or is her too old?
Thanks in advance!

Hello - yes, it is true. Approx 85% of females will get uterine cancer by the age of 5. I'm afraid the vet was wrong, and it's not a great sign for a rabbit-savvy vet.

I've had 5 does spayed to date (and 1 buck neutered). It's a bigger op for girls. The youngest I've had spayed was 5 months, the oldest 2.5 years (the age I rescued her). 3 is still perfectly fine to spay.

I only had issue with 1 spay - Athena's. She developed an abscess after her spay and needed a second operation to remove it.

All operations which require a general anaesthetic carry some element of risk - humans included. Rabbits are a little more fragile than cats/dogs, but procedures are getting better all the time. Athena had a 'wobble' during her abscess removal - started reacting badly and the vet could've lost her. However, she stabilised and now you'd never know. She just hates having her belly touched - typical it would happen in my lionhead who needs occasional brushing!

Good morning!
My question is the one in the title because I read in various sites that does should be spayed because tumors. Is that true? I asked a vet and he told me that that's not true. There's another vet in my city, but now I don't know what to expect. I have no problems in spaying her. But is it dangerious? Can you share your experiences with this kind of thing? And also, is her young enough to be spayed? Or is her too old?
Thanks in advance!

Hello

It is certainly true that unspayed Does aged 5+ are at high risk of Uterine Cancer/Uterine infections. Sometimes uterine disease can occur in even younger Does.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/uterine.htm

A Doe aged 3 is not too old to be spayed as long as she is in over-all good health and the Vet carrying out the procedure is experienced in Rabbit Surgery. The following link gives details of a Rabbit spay and includes some graphic images

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/castration/Spay/Steril_en.html

I would try to locate a Vet who is suitably experienced in treating Rabbits. I would not consult the Vet who told you that the problem of Uterine Cancer in unspayed Does was untrue again. It seems that he/she may not be too up to date with Rabbit Medicine.

Good luck x

Thanks for your answer. So, it's as I thought. There's other vet that deals with rabbits, but I don't know how good it is. I guess I'll have to make a research.

Good morning!
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

By the age of five, around 80% of unspayed does will develop uterine cancer.

Do make sure you get a good vet well recommended. It's often a good idea to 'sound out' a vet when you take the rabbit for vaccination. You can chat about how many they do etc etc ..

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

Good luck xx

Hello. You could make a new thread entitled Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in and put the area where you are.

Back