• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit wee on sofa :-(

hwadds

New Kit
Hi all

I've got two questions. Firstly, what is the best thing to get rabbit wee off a dark coloured fabric sofa - it doesn't have removable covers! :( We've used water and washing up liquid so far. I daren't try vinegar.

Secondly, any ideas what is up with my bun and why he's started weeing everywhere? We've had our two boys for about two months. One is weeing in his box with no accidents. Beast is doing most of the time (and the was doing all of the time) up to a couple of days ago. He's now started weeing in a different place every time he comes out - and he is brazen about it. He hopped onto the sofa, sat right next to my boyfriend and then weed. He always been up on the sofa all the time and has never weed there before today. He's also weeing in random places around the room. No pattern, it's never the same place (and we clean with vinegar to neutralise the odour). He also sometimes deliberately wees near the door of his cage, just after we've shut the door. It's like he's trying to prove a point of some kind.

He isn't spraying - he's neutered. And he's been checked by the vet - it's not a bladder infection, as it's proper weeing not a dribble. Their tray is an under bed storage box, with paper cat litter and a hay rack - they love it and do use it. Nothing in their environment has changed. So I'd just like to understand why he's doing it!

If he wees more than once we confine them to their cage for at least 24 hours before letting them out again (I read somewhere that this can help them start using their tray properly). But I feel really mean on the other rabbit (on both in fact as we want them to be free roam eventually).

Any ideas welcome - particularly on getting wee off my sofa!

Hello!

Firstly, please don't confine the rabbit to the cage, this will not help with using a littertray. It will just anger them that their space is being denied.

I have still got a couple of wee stains on my cream carpet from when we had Louie. Nothing I have tried has removed it, unfortunately.

I have no idea why he is weeing outside the litter tray but I'm sure someone will come along with advice for you.

Hi Lily

Just to clarify by 'cage' I mean a pen that is far bigger than the RWAF minimum. It's about 6ft by 6ft

Not sure what to suggest about the pee - but unfortunately their accommodation isn't large enough - they need a hutch/cage with permanent access to a run of 8 x 6 x 3ft high. Their are some really good ideas on here. Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Lily

Just to clarify by 'cage' I mean a pen that is far bigger than the RWAF minimum. It's about 6ft by 6ft

Even so, if they are used to freeranging then they will hate to be confined in anyway. It also wont stop them weeing everywhere, you cannot punish a rabbit.

Hi similar to above, it's not fair to shut your bunny in. Unfortunately he won't understand why you are locking him in and it's just fair on him.

In regards to him peeing everywhere? Have you changed anything recently, or had another animal in your house?

Or is their the possibility it could be a sign of illness, have you noticed if he is wet underneath or is straining to wee or anything?

So does he use a litter tray?! When he's out normally, is his litter tray accessible to use? Xx

Last edited:
Back