• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded bunnies problem

Hi

I had 2 pairs of neutered boy/girl bunnies, but sadly have recently lost both boys (age over 8 years old). I have successfully put together the remaining females. They do not love each other like the others did but are however fond of each other, groom each other and snuggle together sometimes. Other times they sit at opposite ends of the hutch. At food times however one of the females becomes quite agressive and chases the other one round and round the hutch. Ive tried seperate bowls and scattering the food but still this continues. She never did this with her male partner. The one that is being chased is a lovely gentle bunny and I worry that this may be making her miserable. Would you keep them together or split them up?
Thanks everyone!

Hello there. I have split rabbits up for this reason so really if you feel it is definitely not fair on one of the rabbits then you will have to separate them.

I don't really want to get new partners as
they are both age 9 and am trying to cut back on all my animals. As I speak they are
snuggled up together it's just feeding time that there is this problem.

Could you separate them for feeding times? If you don't want to adopt a new partner for both bunnies, which in your circumstances I understand, then I think leaving them together would be best if it's only at feeding times they have issues. One of my pairs were closely bonded yet at feeding time the girl would chase and bite poor Gordon so I fed separately.

Thanks a lot . Yes this could be my option .
Luckily she doesn't get hurt at all just chased around a few times!

Beano chases her current partner around at feeding times or when she thinks food is around, it's just what she's like so if they're otherwise fine I wouldn't worry just maybe separate to avoid potential scuffles :)

Back