• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant rabbit?

Meg362

New Kit
So my new bunny Junebug (we've had her for almost two weeks and shes about a year old) has been acting a bit strange. She is my first bunny so I'm not too sure about all her behaviors yet. We got her from a family friend of ours who occasionally breeds bunnies. (And yes so knows what she's doing, she's a vet tech ☺) She is not spayed either. I do know she was at some point in a pasture with several other bunnies but had to be removed due to the other bunnies acting very aggressive towards her, so for a little while she was living in a pen on her own, I just don't know how long ago she was in the pasture with the other bunnies. Recently these last few days I've been seeing a lot of fur in her cage. When I was cleaning her cage I noticed she'd been spraying in her house and on her blanket. (she hadn't been just a few days ago and her breeder said she had never really sprayed). But the main thing I noticed was the pile of fur in the corner of her house with some scattered hay around it. Not really a "nest" but not really just a clump either. I'm just not sure if she's nesting or is molting (we have cold winters and hot summers so the breeder said her coat was thicker in the winter). She's also been a little more flinchy when I pick her up to take her to and from her outdoor playpen, and before she didn't really move and just let me carry her. She also wants to dig at her towel, her fleece, her blanket, and even the wood section of her cage if that has anything to do with pregnant rabbits. Are there any signs that will show if she's pregnant or not, besides taking her to the vet (it's hard to get to the vet as the closest exotic vet is over 90 minutes away and it stresses her out).I have heard of palpating I believe it's spelled, I'm just not too sure how to do that so if there is a tutorial that someone can give me that would help a lot.

Last edited:
Hello there. Some rabbits have false pregnancies but the best way to know if she is pregnant is to wait and see. She will build a nest if she is pregnant and you wont have long to wait as their gestation lasts about 31 days. We wouldn't advise you to palpate her tummy as you can injure any babies she might have. If she seems unhappy with you picking her up at the moment it is best to refrain from this until you are absolutely sure she is not pregnant.

Back