• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bad stomach again

Laureyxo

New Kit
My girl bun grace needed some fibreplex a fortnight ago for a bad stomach (seemingly a reaction to metacam) and now has loose stool again. It looks partly like squashed caectrophes (sp?!) but she cannot clean herself due to bad legs. I've given her a clean, I don't think she's eating well - she just nibbles at hay and she looks/feels in bad condition. She was given pain relief but it seemed to make very little difference. I'm going to take her back to the vets re: injectable anti inflammatories as opposed to the opiate they prescribed but honestly I'm beginning to doubt that she has any quality of life left 😞😞 she's been at the vets 2 weekends in a row and the situation hasn't really changed 😞 I'm worried they might suggest pts and I don't know if it might be the right decision. It's so hard. Xxx

I am sorry that Grace is having problems. Is she an older rabbit? I suspect that it's pain, possibly from arthritis, that is causing most if not all of the issues. I think a discussion with your vet about alternative forms of pain relief would be the best way forward. Also ask the vet about physiotherapy and also acupuncture.

Good luck. I hope you can find something to alleviate Grace's symptoms.

Yeah she's 8 omi, she's so lethargic this morning. We tried a week of buprenorphine and it didn't seem to do anything but it didn't have any anti inflammatory properties. However generally she just seems in a really bad condition, I try and give her loads of hay because it's all she will eat but she's eating such a tiny amount now this morning she's just really sleepy like she can barely keep her eyes open. Got an app at the vets at 9:45 so will see what they say X

Good luck with your vet's appointment. The Buprenorphine will make her sleepy.

Regarding the eating problems, I think I would try either giving her an occasional top-up with some recovery food or make up some "mushy mix" of soaked pellets plus some chopped up grass or herbs. Some people also give a very small quantity of dry oats. I would discuss options for topping up her food with the vet this morning. Some people also use Ella's baby food (obviously one containing rabbit friendly items).

Sending loads of vibes for Grace. I hope you can sort something out for her.

I've heard of people using Ella's baby food before, what are the best ones I don't want to risk upsetting her stomach any further, apples? Parsnip? Unfortunately my little boy has moved onto Ella's lumpy Thai curry and don't think that's suitable 😂

Thanks for updating.

What did the vet decide to do about pain relief? Regarding Ella's Baby Food, I personally have never needed to use it, but I certainly think I would give it a try in your case. Perhaps try one that is just vegetables, rather than fruit. I think they do just pureed carrot and parsnip or something like that. Your little boy has sophisticated tastes in baby food :lol: Also will she eat fresh grass or perhaps Readigrass?

I've heard of people using Ella's baby food before, what are the best ones I don't want to risk upsetting her stomach any further, apples? Parsnip? Unfortunately my little boy has moved onto Ella's lumpy Thai curry and don't think that's suitable 😂

Hi there :wave:

Has your vet considered Tramadol as an alternative pain relief? Also, the vet could prescribe Zantac if Metacam were indicated but irritating the stomach.

Ella's baby food - yes I have used it many times. I mix it with critical care and ground up pellets. Apples and bananas is a favourite, and also carrot apple and parsnip. These should be OK< but try slowly first :D

Good luck xx

Hi, I just posted on this thread on bad stomach problems: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455729-Stasis-prone-bunnies-any-prevention-tips

We have two very old rabbits (10 and 13 years) and had a doe that needed constant care. She ripped all the stitches out the night after she was spayed and lay down in her litter box with her guts open. When we found her the next morning it was one massive infected mess with intestines hanging out. We rushed her back to the vet, they closed her up and my wife treated her every 3 hours the next two days, right through the night. She made it but everything inside was messed up and her stomach never really worked like it should.

We kept her alive for two years using the methods in that post and also fed her a supplement called BeeFee through a syringe when it was really bad.

Back