• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could it be?

This morning I noticed, Clayton's, poop was a bit off (fully formed but appeared to be slightly squishy and gooey) and a few hours ago his poop was even more runnier although there was still more than a few formed poops in there. He is fed on high quality rabbit pellets and meadow hay which he was fed on both at the pet store and we have not started to slowly introduce fresh vegetables as of yet since we tend to like to wait a few weeks to allow any animal we get to settle in fully before making any changes to their diet etc. We've noticed for a few days now that he has been drinking slightly more water than usual which we just put down to the weather getting warmer and we haven't noticed any behaviour changes. Has anybody experienced anything like this? My partner has just texted me to say they have just arrived at the vets and I will know within the next half hour or so.

This morning I noticed, Clayton's, poop was a bit off (fully formed but appeared to be slightly squishy and gooey) and a few hours ago his poop was even more runnier although there was still more than a few formed poops in there. He is fed on high quality rabbit pellets and meadow hay which he was fed on both at the pet store and we have not started to slowly introduce fresh vegetables as of yet since we tend to like to wait a few weeks to allow any animal we get to settle in fully before making any changes to their diet etc. We've noticed for a few days now that he has been drinking slightly more water than usual which we just put down to the weather getting warmer and we haven't noticed any behaviour changes. Has anybody experienced anything like this? My partner has just texted me to say they have just arrived at the vets and I will know within the next half hour or so.

It's impossible to say what the problem may be from the desciption you have given. There are so many possibilities. You have done the right thing in taking him to a Vet as so much more information can be obtained from a 'hands on' examination. It may be something as simple as him having too many pellets and therefore not eating enough hay. Hopefully you will obtain good advice from the Vet xx

It's very difficult to diagnose (not that we can anyway) over the Internet, so I am very glad you've been to see the vet :thumb:

They have kept him in for observation. Since he is still a young rabbit, they don't want to take any chances. They suspect it could be something as simple as a upset tummy but they're running tests on him to see what the possible cause/s could be.

They have kept him in for observation. Since he is still a young rabbit, they don't want to take any chances. They suspect it could be something as simple as a upset tummy but they're running tests on him to see what the possible cause/s could be.

I hope you get good news from the vet today x

Thanks for the positive vibes! Clayton is back to full health now. The vets suspect his bad stomach may of had something to do with the newspaper I used to line his cage with despite it being safe to use.

Back