• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I get a friend for my 10 week old male?

rachdee

New Kit
Hi - I have a 10 week old male mini lop and he is so adorable. He is a very licky, confident and friendly bunny. He is a house bunny - at the moment he is in a spare bedroom and we spend a lot of time with him as we work from home. The aim is to be able to let him have the run of most of the house soon - when he gets a bit bigger as I'm scared someone will stand on him!

He has met our 12 year old male cat and already charges up to him and chases him around the room:lol: I was originally thinking that as he will get plenty of attention and has the cat to hopefully make friends with, we would settle for one bunny. I'm now wondering whether I should get him a bunny companion and how easy it would be to bond at this age.

Thanks - Rachel

Depending on what you want to do I guess you have a few options.

First of all, yes its a great idea for a rabbit to have a companion, and its advised as rabbits are such social little animals! :)

If your boy it 10 weeks old he is still only a little baby, its usually advised for pairs to be male/female as this is the easiest bond to make and keep!

However, males can mature as early as 14 weeks and he will need to be neutered before he could have a female partner, a lot here try to discourage any type of breeding with so many rabbits waiting in rescues for homes! If you want a female partner for him it may be best to wait until he is neutered and then consider a young rescue female who has already been neutered and is ready for a male partner. Rescues are the best places to go! They will often give you advice and help on bonding as well!

I don't want this post to be a mile long so if you have any specific questions let us know! x

Back