• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In need of advice

Sso2016

New Kit
Hi I'm very new to this forum but I do understand that I shouldn't rely on members advice instead of a vet but I'm really struggling to make a decision. Recently and tragically two of our bunnies have passed away this week, the first Odyssey it is unknown she was sadly found dead on Tuesday morning from unknown cause and my other bunny snowflake had cancer and had to be put to sleep on Friday. Obviously I was heartbroken and my last bunny sprinkles is still alive. She was just checked out today and has had her vaccinations. None of our rabbits were spayed - my dad was worried about them not waking up and despite my protests it was decided not to get any of them spayed. If snowflake was spayed she would still be with us. I know you're probably disgusted at such neglect but it was never intentional it was ignorance. But that is no defence. The issue is when snowflake was put to sleep we asked whether sprinkles should be spayed to prevent this horrific disease to take her but the vet said it was too risky. She is 5 years old. However, at the vets today a different vet recommended sprinkles should get spayed to prevent her getting cancer. We are unsure what to do due to us foolishly not getting them all spayed in the beginning. I don't know whether to risk the surgery or to risk her contracting cancer, the heartache of losing my last bunny to either is so difficult to decide. But am I being selfish to risk her getting cancer because I can't deal with another loss? The vet said it is our decision but we have already made so many wrong ones I no longer trust my judgement anymore. Any advise would be greatly and very much appreciated

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Personally, I would go ahead with the spay but it may be worth having a blood profile done to check her organs are working correctly (mainly kidney/liver function). It may also be worth discussing having her on fluids during and after the procedure to help her body process the anaesthetic quicker.

Hopefully others will be along soon with their opinions too.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Personally, I would go ahead with the spay but it may be worth having a blood profile done to check her organs are working correctly (mainly kidney/liver function). It may also be worth discussing having her on fluids during and after the procedure to help her body process the anaesthetic quicker.

Hopefully others will be along soon with their opinions too.

Welcome to the forum albeit under sad circumstances. I agree with all the advice given here and I too would go ahead with the spay, having first checked that she was a healthy rabbit.

I am very sorry that you lost Odyssey and Snowflake.

Hi I'm very new to this forum but I do understand that I shouldn't rely on members advice instead of a vet but I'm really struggling to make a decision. Recently and tragically two of our bunnies have passed away this week, the first Odyssey it is unknown she was sadly found dead on Tuesday morning from unknown cause and my other bunny snowflake had cancer and had to be put to sleep on Friday. Obviously I was heartbroken and my last bunny sprinkles is still alive. She was just checked out today and has had her vaccinations. None of our rabbits were spayed - my dad was worried about them not waking up and despite my protests it was decided not to get any of them spayed. If snowflake was spayed she would still be with us. I know you're probably disgusted at such neglect but it was never intentional it was ignorance. But that is no defence. The issue is when snowflake was put to sleep we asked whether sprinkles should be spayed to prevent this horrific disease to take her but the vet said it was too risky. She is 5 years old. However, at the vets today a different vet recommended sprinkles should get spayed to prevent her getting cancer. We are unsure what to do due to us foolishly not getting them all spayed in the beginning. I don't know whether to risk the surgery or to risk her contracting cancer, the heartache of losing my last bunny to either is so difficult to decide. But am I being selfish to risk her getting cancer because I can't deal with another loss? The vet said it is our decision but we have already made so many wrong ones I no longer trust my judgement anymore. Any advise would be greatly and very much appreciated

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so very sorry for your losses. It's evident you love your rabbits to bits.

However, I agree with the vet's recommendation that Sprinkles be spayed. At five years old she's a prime candidate for uterine cancer, and you've not a moment to lose really.

I am sure with a very rabbit savvy vet she will be in excellent hands.

Please keep in touch, and post back. We are all here to support you :)

I understand your attachment to your bunny and your fear of another loss. If I am hearing you right, you are looking it as losing her to surgery now, verses losing her to cancer later. However, the risk of cancer for an unspayed female is significantly greater than the risk of anestesia/surgery.

After my experience with an unspayed bunny who developed uterine cancer, I would say to get your bunny spayed.

My suggestion is to schedule the spay for next month after you had a few weeks to grieve your loss. Ask your vet to explain how they monitor your bunny during surgery and to put your mind at ease. Once your bunny is spayed and healed, you will never have to worry about her developing uterine cancer.

Thank you

Thank you for your condolences they are really appreciated. I've booked her in to be spayed but beforehand I will take her to have her blood tested 😊 Previously they were outside together but I've brought her in the house and she's so lovely. She is biting a bit though but she's getting used to us. She also will her jump up and join us on the sofa. I love getting to know her personally and quirks, she's seems very happy and she has binkyed a lot - which I've recently learned is a sign of happiness? I hope so anyway.
All you hope has been incredibly helpful and kind. Thank you so much - with your help I'm going to give her the best life possible

Thank you for your condolences they are really appreciated. I've booked her in to be spayed but beforehand I will take her to have her blood tested 😊 Previously they were outside together but I've brought her in the house and she's so lovely. She is biting a bit though but she's getting used to us. She also will her jump up and join us on the sofa. I love getting to know her personally and quirks, she's seems very happy and she has binkyed a lot - which I've recently learned is a sign of happiness? I hope so anyway.
All you hope has been incredibly helpful and kind. Thank you so much - with your help I'm going to give her the best life possible

She's a lucky little lady :D

Back