• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky Fur Around Eyes

TinkerBelle

Young Bun
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help, Roxxy always has wet sticky fur around her eyes since ive had her ( 4 months). The vet has seen her recently for something else and checked her teeth she said they were fine so i know its not that. Ive tried cleaning with water but makes no difference, tonight i have noticed she has scratched it raw so was wondering if i could put sudocreme on it or any other safe to use products u could suggest? Also has anyone else's buns had this issue and knpw what it could be if not teeth related? The fur goes hard and sticky,

Hi guys wondering if anyone can help, Roxxy always has wet sticky fur around her eyes since ive had her ( 4 months). The vet has seen her recently for something else and checked her teeth she said they were fine so i know its not that. Ive tried cleaning with water but makes no difference, tonight i have noticed she has scratched it raw so was wondering if i could put sudocreme on it or any other safe to use products u could suggest? Also has anyone else's buns had this issue and knpw what it could be if not teeth related? The fur goes hard and sticky,

Don't put any creams or lotions around the eye. They will possibly sting when they get into the eye.

It sounds either like an eye infection, where the eye is oozing, or else a blocked tear duct.

Vets can only see about 60% of a rabbit's teeth without opening the mouth properly, which they usually do under GA. Elongated tooth roots can often impinge on the tear duct and cause what you've described.

A vet can flush the tear duct (doesn't usually require sedation) but if it's blocked, it often comes back, with the discharge making the fur sticky. Bathing with cooled boiled water and a cotton pad is the best thing, a couple of times daily. A warm compress just under the eye, where the tear duct exits, may help to release some of the sticky gunk which you can then wipe away.

I hope this helps! :D

Thank you MightMax tried the water and cotton pad but not boiled cooled so will give that a go. she quiet likes me cleaning it so it must be bothering her now she has scratched it.
By the sounds of it she needs to see the vet to get it checked? Or could cleaning it cure it? X

Is it both eyes? I think you ought to go back to your Vets (are they Rabbit Savvy?). We can recommend a good Vet in the London area. Is she kept on wood shavings as this can irritate eyes and nose. How old is she?

Yes its both eyes. Vets were pretty good only seen her once but she really helped when Roxxys gut stopped moving. Vet reckons she is 1 - 2 years old. Im in hertfordshire if u know a good rabbit vet? Yes she is on wood shavings. What could i put her on instead? Thank you for your advise x

Thank you MightMax tried the water and cotton pad but not boiled cooled so will give that a go. she quiet likes me cleaning it so it must be bothering her now she has scratched it.
By the sounds of it she needs to see the vet to get it checked? Or could cleaning it cure it? X

It sounds as though she could do with being looked at by a vet, as sore eyes can be very painful indeed.

Wood shavings can cause irritation to the eyes and mucous membranes:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html

Cleaning with cooled boiled water should help in the meantime, but I would get her seen this week if possible :)

You need to start a new thread entitled Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in Herts. Hope you get your rabbit sorted.

Sorry, I just noticed your query re which substrate to use. A lot of us use just newspaper with hay on top, or you can use non-clumping cat litter. It depends a lot on what type of housing she is in but a litter tray is a very good idea filled with the above, if she is in a hutch.

Back