• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burgess Excel

Alicia

Mama Doe
My rabbits have always been fed on burgess excel adult pellets. I feed them more than the recommended amount but I feel this works for them. As they're now 7, is there a different food that is better for older rabbits? Should I be changing their veg/hay or anything?

with rosie when she got older I got her a special rabbit food off vets with added glucosamine, bare in mind it was to help her co-ordination on her legs as she was often unsteady and fell down, cant remember the name now something like vetmed or similar
with her veg so was fussy so it was anything she was able to eat even got to stage I grated her carrots

Personally I have never used mature pellets in older rabbits. They are quite low calorie wise as the manufacturers assume older rabbits are less active. However in my experience I have found that older buns tend to have problems maintaining weight rather than putting it on. In my opinion if it isn't broken then don't try and fix it.

Back