• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where to buy good quality but affordable meadow hay online? In big bags! :P

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Just wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a good quality meadow hay in a large bag (maybe one intended for horses? As long as it's just meadow hay and nothing is added or done to it) online? At the moment I'm buying what I've bought for years, the meadow hay sold in Pampurred Pets ( http://shop.pampurredpets.com/Fab_Feeding_Hay_Jumbo-M1068 ). It's the only hay Willow used to eat and aside from one bad bag which I wasn't keen on (and neither were the bunnies!) I've always found it to be wonderful. All the bunnies like it. At £5 for a fairly big bag it's not bad but I'm wondering if it would be cheaper in the long run to buy in larger horse-sized bags. I'd say the seven of them probably go through about a bag of the Pampurred Pets one per week, maybe a bit less if they're having Timothy hay or Readi Grass as well.

I know it was a lot cheaper to buy the horse sized Readi Grass! FE Readi Grass is £5.30 for 1kg in Pampurred Pets. I paid about £25 for 15kg in August last year and there's still a load left! I really didn't think it would go as far as it did!

Obviously as cheap as possible would be great but that said I want them to have good quality hay so I'd rather pay more for one that I know is good.
Also buying it in a shop or from a farmer would probably be impossible for us so really it has to be online.
I know The Hay Experts are supposed to be really good and I am planning to make an order from the eventually but the only large ones they seem to have are alfalfa and oatwheat & barley. At the moment I'm just looking for some normal meadow hay.

I have used Hay For Pets for quite a while now. I get their Ings hay, but they also do Timothy and Meadow. I have always been very pleased with the quality of the hay and also their customer service. I get the largest bag, which is £18.00 for 9.5 kilos including delivery. All hay is the same price. It sounds expensive, but I find it compares quite favourably with smaller bags available locally. Also the rabbits love it :love:

Is there a horse (equine) supply place near you that will deliver? A standard bale of hay is around £4-£7. Even if you have to pay for delivery, it may be worth looking at. They often stock rabbit food as well, so you may be able to get other items in with the delivery.

Ebay and Preloved may have some local farms / hay suppliers listed.

A standard (2 string) bale will just fit in a 240 litre wheely bin - although the size / weight does vary. If you can transport it yourself, you can use an old single duvet cover to put it in.

Zooplus do a bale of hay, it is a real bale with balers twine and sections of hay ect but comes in a plastic wrapper and it is so super compressed it is about the size of hay4Pets largest size despite being 15kg so a fair bit bigger! Nice hay, not dusty but is a soft hay so if your bun prefers the stalky stuff maybe not as good but my guys like soft hay!

http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/horses/feed/hay_fibre/hay_fibre/496147

I get bales from a local farm (organic) three pounds a bale. Rabbits seem perfectly happy with it.

Sorry for the late reply :oops:
Thank you all so much for the replies :) I've tried looking for local equine supply stores but can't seem to find any near enough. I can't seem to find any that would deliver either but will look again. Most of them in all honesty have pretty poor websites that don't really tell you much about what they stock.
I'm tempted at the moment to order either the one from Zooplus or HayForPets. I've seen the HayForPets one before I think, but completely forgot about it!
As for the type of hay they'll pretty much eat anything but I've noticed some will get bored with one type quickly :)roll:) whereas others couldn't care less :lol: So I'll still buy other types of hay now and then to mix it up a bit and keep them interested. I just wanted a sort of 'main' hay that would be more affordable than the £5 3.6kg bag they currently go through each week :lol:
I also get them a brand of timothy hay called Special Gold (made by Homefriends) from PampurredPets. It's £4.99 and only 1.8kg but it's really compressed and it is amazing. The bunnies all love it :p It smells so sweet and it's still very green. I've not seen another timothy hay that good so I like to get it every other week as a treat :thumb:

Thanks again! :D

I use hay for pets. I'm pretty sure Roses mites came from the farm hay my horses have so I've stopped using that all together now. There's also dust free hay which I know a few people on here use.

That's a little off putting :? But then again I suppose that's a risk with any hay. There's always the chance of it having something in there that doesn't belong. I've seen enough horror stories that I make sure I check it all thoroughly before giving it to the bunnies. So far I've got away with just a few moths :p
Though there was that one time I found the caterpillar underneath Maple's litter tray... Though I think that probably came from her veggies :roll:

Back