• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch vs Freeranging

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some wise/knowledgeable input please:

Our little Cookie lost her husbun last Spring, and whilst she has other bunny friends we can see she's been lonely. She went off her food last week, but a swift trip to the vets confirmed she's in good health.

So - we've thought about getting a bf for her and last night we met a bun we think she'll get on really well with.

The poor thing has been living as a single rabbit in a house full of people, no one really taking responsibility for him (the girl who got him moved out and left him), feeding him mainly breads sticks and lettuce. He hasn't got a name (we've decided to call him Ted), and his indoor cage was in poor condition (filthy, is the word I would use).

He has been freeranging the house, and was put in his cage at night. He's been wormed (I have the packet with vets details so I can call them) and they say he's vaccinated but no card to show (I'll call vet). He's not neutered, but I have already booked him in for a health check and neuter with the vet I use.

Now, my dilemma: he's already made himself at home and has no trouble running around, in and out of rooms (my buns freerange their own areas, but never go into kitchen/bathroom/my bedroom. He's been in all of these, and he's found the front door - and scaled the pet gates we use to keep the areas/bunnies separated. o_O I have NEVER seen anything like it!

OH and I often work on opposite days, meaning that one is at home when the other is at work. This obv works well when it comes to bunny-duties. This Sunday, we both have to work, and I need to decide what to do with Ted.

At the moment, until he's been neutered and bonded with Cookie, I'm keeping him separatly in the living room. I'm in two minds about what to do with him on Sunday:

Keep him in a two-tier hutch (in the living room). I feel this is the safest option, but as he's used to doing whatever he wants, I am feeling mean...

Closing all doors and letting him freerange in livingroom. I don't know him enough for this option, and what I've seen from this morning; I might come home and find him on the window sill...

Putting him in bathroom and closing the door. It's a contained area, but what if he gets into the tub and can't get out...

I have a pen that I can set up, but he'll easily jump out (same height as pet gates).

What would you do? I feel the hutch option is the safest, but is it mean?

On a separate note - Cookie knows he's in the house and she has perked up already - she's periscoping, she's had all her breakfast and she's very interested in the goings-on :)

Better to be safe than sorry as the saying goes. Being in the hutch with a nice loto of hay won't harm him, and pleased Cookie has cheered up! Don't forget females are the territorial ones so introduce them in a neutral area, after he has been done. Thankfully he has been taken out of his old home and hopefully he and Cookie will be very happy together. Please keep us up to date.

I can understand your dilemma. Boo is a free spirit & sounds like your adventurous new addition (she plays window sil games daily & has to investigate every inch of the house, the other 2 stick to their comfort zones). I guess one day won't hurt in the cage whilst your ascertaining just how much he can be trusted. Your going to have fun with him. I'm glad you took him on

Yes; he's already quite a character! He doesn't mind the hoover or the washing machine, he hopped up on my bed and he's just ahown interest in my lunch (curry).

Which worries me.

He's had a very small amount of the pellets he came with (Wagg), a minute nibble of hay (4 different types mixed up, with dried herbs on top) and he only chinned the fresh herbs I put out for him - he doesn't seem to realise they're edible... He's drinking, and he's pee'd & poo'd.

He came running and hopped up beside me when I got my lunch out of the micro - I have a horrible feeling they've been feeding him from their plates.

He's very alert and curious and he's bouncing around everywhere - I'm thinking that it's all new and exiting and he hasn't got time to eat, but I'm beginning to get worried.

If you look at dog gates, they are exactly the same design as kiddie gates but about 2' taller - had to upgrade myself as Scamp can clear the child sized version.

If he's jumping then pegging/tying a sheet over the pen should stop him getting out, just something so when he jumps up, he bounces off it ;)

If it is for one day then I'm sure it will be fine to keep him in the hutch. It's probably better to keep him in there and know he is safe than leave him running around and you worrying about what he's up to all day! Especially as you've not had him long and don't know exactly what kind of mischief he could cause. Just give him plenty of hay and some toys. He'll probably sleep throughout the day anyway - mine are all a bit boring during the day and I often find them in their hutches snoozing until around late afternoon, even though they have runs attached to play in.

Keeping him in the hutch would be safest and he will be ok for just a day but make sure he has toys and things to keep him occupied

Thank you for replies - much appreciated!

I went with the hutch option, and somehow he seems much calmer. Maybe it was nice to just relax. :)

He's off for health check and neuter tomorrow - paws crossed for a good day!

Back