• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vegetables/herbs

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi,😄I know rabbits need plenty of greens in their diet,What should I be giving daily? Yesterday I bought cucumber,coriander,carrots,curly kale,red,green and yellow peppers but this is between the rabbit/guinea pigs/cockatiels. What should I be feeding daily and what should I give in limited amounts?

Hi, I don't think rabbits actually need greens in their diet :) They certainly like them though, at least mine do. In my view the best "fresh greens" you can give daily to your rabbits would be fresh cut grass, closely followed by wild forage.

Out of your list, I would certainly give coriander daily and any other herbs you get. They usually go down very well. I also give my rabbits kale daily most of the year, but that is also because we grow it and so have it in abundance. Best to start off giving small amounts of kale and any of the other cabbage-type greens, as some rabbits get upset digestive systems with it. Mine won't eat cucumber readily and I think it's probably largely water anyway, so I'm not particularly bothered that they don't much like it. I don't feed peppers, although I know some people on here do. They love carrot, but they have it very, very rarely as a treat, as it is very high in sugar.

He loves cucumber the vet recommended to be careful with kale as it may cause bloat so I give it in very limited amounts. I can get wild forage easily,I live in the countryside and I get get grass in abundance too.

He loves cucumber the vet recommended to be careful with kale as it may cause bloat so I give it in very limited amounts. I can get wild forage easily,I live in the countryside and I get get grass in abundance too.

This is brilliant! There have been reports of bloat with lush spring grass too, so just to be aware of that too. Actually anything new that you give him should be given in moderation for a few times to make sure his stomach gets used to it and so that you can monitor him.

If you aren't sure what wild plants are safe, I can recommend "Foraging for rabbits" by Twigs Way, which you can order from the RWAF.

I have the burgess excel dried forage (all of the treats) and some of the rosewood dried forage, is this good?

Yes, this type of dried forage is fine. I personally don't usually get it because (1) my rabbits seem to prefer fresh forage and living here there always seems to be something available, (2) I know for sure what it is if I pick it myself and (3) it's quite expensive for a small amount (I have 3 very greedy Rexes!). When I have bought it I have tended to mix it in with their hay.

I'll have a look for fresh forage tomorrow,lovely rex rabbits are gorgeous the petshop I am doing work experience in had 7,their coats are like velvet!

Mine certainly prefer fresh to dried: brambles still well in leaf, even managed to get some hazel still.

Two of mine LOVE baby sweet corn and would eat it all day every day if I'd let them (evil mummy not allowing them to live off of it! ;) ) They also like rocket, spinach (in small amounts), brussel sprouts, kale, cucumber, cauliflower, spring greens and broccoli too. My other bunny isn't too fussed about any veg apart from kale but lovesss coriander, mint, basil and parsley. Fresh grass goes down a treat with all of them though and this is handy for one of the bunnies who doesn't eat very much hay (no matter what brand/flavour I buy).

I give mine big leafy greens, herbs ) at the moment parsley) and kale. Thats my every day veggies, once a week or every 2 weeks they get the stalk of a broccoli that been all used up for us humans!

So far our little guy has had basil, parsley, spinach, rocket, green pepper, green beans, watercress, broccoli and dried dandelion. He didn't like courgette or asparagus. Got him some coriander to try this week (hope he likes it, as I don't :lol: )
He also gets the occasional slice of banana or carrot as a treat :)

Someone gave me this link a while ago - I use it to check everything.

http://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/safe-foods-for-rabbits

Generally a cup of leafy veg, and limit sweet foods (carrots, banana, apple) to a very small amount each day. Introduce new foods slowly (I'm introducing mine to Kale this week, so they had a leaf last night, and will get more tonight if they get on OK). Don't feed them Iceberg Lettuce, as it's really bad for them.

bisc has a sensitive tummy and the only fresh foods he can tolerate are fresh thyme and lettuce (the one he has is called o'so sweet from morrisons :lol:) - he has a small amount of one or the other each day.

forage would be ideal if you can access some. i can't but think it would be great for bisc if i could :)

I didn't get a chance to collect forage yesterday but I will at the weekend. My sample from science selective arrived today and Dexter likes it,I'm not sure which brand I will stick with burgess excel or science selective he's currently fed on burgess excel.

Back