• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with sore hocks

KatyS

Warren Scout
Hoping you lovely people can give me some advice. We've had our bunnies for about 4 months and this is the first health problem we've had so I'm over-reacting a bit!

I groomed Trixie today and noticed she has quite bad sore patches on both back legs. They're not bleeding, but there's a definite round blister like patch. I'm going to post a picture if that's ok, photobucket is just being slow...

What can we do to help her? (I'm just trimming her nails right now!) Is this a trip to the vet or just keeping an eye on her at home?

What substrate is she housed on ?

Rabbits who spend a lot of time on carpet or concrete can be prone to sore hocks. Some Rabbits also have problems on wood floors/lino etc

A Vet check would be a good idea as sore hocks can sometimes be a secondary symptom of another mobility related problem.

Whilst your Rabbit's hocks are not too bad at the moment you are wise to take prompt action to try to prevent the problem getting any worse.

Thank you Jane. She is a house rabbit, they have foam pads and blankets in their cage but she spends quite a lot of time out in the dining room on carpet. I guess I need to think about how I can adapt that to make it more comfortable for her.

Hoping you lovely people can give me some advice. We've had our bunnies for about 4 months and this is the first health problem we've had so I'm over-reacting a bit!

I groomed Trixie today and noticed she has quite bad sore patches on both back legs. They're not bleeding, but there's a definite round blister like patch. I'm going to post a picture if that's ok, photobucket is just being slow...

What can we do to help her? (I'm just trimming her nails right now!) Is this a trip to the vet or just keeping an eye on her at home?

Hi Katie

I'm sorry to hear about Trixie. It's worrying when these things come up, and we want to do the best for them.

Carpet can sometimes be a bit abrasive on bunnies' feet, but not all bunnies. If where she spends the majority of her time can be soft (vet bed is good if she doesn't nibble it), or covering some area with a sheet/duvet cover, this may help.

I am glad you have trimmed her nails, as that would throw the weight onto the back of the foot, if they were long :thumb:

How old is Trixie? Did she have a home before?

To be honest, a vet probably wouldn't do anything at this stage, but you should keep an eye on it. But try to stop worrying and by all means see the vet should you feel it necessary.

Good luck xx

Thank you MightyMax. I think that's just what I needed to hear right now, some reassurance as it is worrying the first time you have to deal with these things!

We got both rabbits from a rescue centre and they were found as strays, so we don't know anything about where they used to live. We think they're about 4 years old, but all we really know is they're fully grown but not elderly! The other bunny Peter hasn't got any problems with his feet but he's got a lot more fur on his back legs than Trixie.

Thank you MightyMax. I think that's just what I needed to hear right now, some reassurance as it is worrying the first time you have to deal with these things!

We got both rabbits from a rescue centre and they were found as strays, so we don't know anything about where they used to live. We think they're about 4 years old, but all we really know is they're fully grown but not elderly! The other bunny Peter hasn't got any problems with his feet but he's got a lot more fur on his back legs than Trixie.

Aww you're very welcome!

I have had bunnies kept on exactly the same flooring, one will get a bald patch and another not at all.

I hope it doesn't get any worse, and you can ease off a bit on the worrying ;)

I've ordered them some vetbed, but in the mean time I put down a blanket in their favourite snoozing spot. Needless to say when I got home this evening it had been thrown across the room :p

I've ordered them some vetbed, but in the mean time I put down a blanket in their favourite snoozing spot. Needless to say when I got home this evening it had been thrown across the room :p

:roll: Tiresome bunnies :lol:

Don't they listen that it's for their own good?

Back