• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit humping arm and chin marking me.

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi,Tonight my rabbit Dexter humped my arm and wouldn't stop chin marking me. He's 3 months 2 weeks and 4 days old so still a bit young to get neutered,I was going to wait until 5 months old. I did come home from work experience in a petshop and I was handing male and female rabbits so probably have their scent on me. Is there any way to encourage this to stop? He's going to the vets tomorrow for a check up to discuss neutering with the vets. (I'm going with my dog anyway)

Hi,Tonight my rabbit Dexter humped my arm and wouldn't stop chin marking me. He's 3 months 2 weeks and 4 days old so still a bit young to get neutered,I was going to wait until 5 months old. I did come home from work experience in a petshop and I was handing male and female rabbits so probably have their scent on me. Is there any way to encourage this to stop? He's going to the vets tomorrow for a check up to discuss neutering with the vets. (I'm going with my dog anyway)

It sounds as though he has hit puberty, although his testicles may not yet be fully descended. The fact that you no doubt did have the scent of other Rabbits on you is also likely to have played a part in his behaviour. He may not stop the behaviour now until he has been neutered. He may also start to spray wee, just to warn you !!

I am sure you know that if working in an environment with a lot of Rabbits- ie the Pet Shop- it is important to change from your work clothes and thoroughly wash your hands before handling your own Pets Rabbits. This is to minimise the risk of cross contamination of any diseases from the Pet Shop Rabbits to your Pets. It may also stop your Rabbit from being able to smell the scent of the Pet Shop Rabbits.

Is your Rabbit vaccinated yet ? If not that could be done when you see the Vet today, as long as the Vet considers your Rabbit to be fit and well.

Will it stop when neutered? I'm worried the habit will set because I have to wait until he's neutered.

Will it stop when neutered? I'm worried the habit will set because I have to wait until he's neutered.

Yes, the arm humping is very likely to resolve after he is neutered. He may still chin you though. That would just be him telling you you are his :)

Yes, he's getting hormonal and claiming you for his own (what an honour, eh? :lol:)

Neutering will certainly help, but coming back smelling of other rabbits will always be irresistible to a male rabbit :D

Chinning doesn't bother me it's the humping haha. I'm going soon I'll see what the vet thinks. What age would be best to get him neutered? I was hoping to do it at 5 months old

I'm just back from the vets,he is perfectly healthy 😀 The vet recommended waiting until he is 6 months old because he's still so small. I was a bit worried about his teeth because he went off his hay for a while,but his teeth are good.

Back