• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

PoppyTheRex

Young Bun
Hello beautiful bunny lovers!

Just need some advice really. Being that I have two Rex rabbits, I know they're more prone to sore hocks. Poppy never seems to have a problem, but Storm does. I lay extra bedding down...etc, but every so often his left back paw always manages to wear right down to the skin. It doesn't split, but you can see a bald patch. Than his fur grows back, it's like a never ending cycle. I just don't wanna get to the point where he has bleeds and all that. Any suggestions on how to improve the cushion for his paws?

I'm building two ramps, and pinning a some carpet on top of their hutch (where he jumps onto like crazy) in the hopes this will soften everything for him (and Poppy too, of course!)

Any help I'm grateful for. :D

Well, I haven't had huge experience of this but my conti skinned one of his back feet a while back. I've managed to get it to heal with vet bed and puppy pads to keep his litter tray really dry. However, I worked out that it was the bottom of our stairs. They a twisty so the step is narrower at one end than the other. Occasionally, his back foot slips off and he gets a sort of carpet burn. Thankfully, I've now solved that so fingers crossed it won't happen again.

Hope that may help :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, perhaps that is what he is doing than. When he skids on the top of the hutch (he gets so excited for his food!). I did buy something like that vet bed, but unfortunately my rabbits love to rip up and eat the stuff. Which is why I've had to go with a very close corked carpet, to prevent them from doing that. I'll try laying the top of the hutch, see how it goes.

Might post some pictures when their new ramps are done! Quite pleased with how one has turned out. :D

Thanks for the help suggestions!

Carpet can actually exacerbate hock problems as it is so abrasive. A piece of thick rubber stable matting may be a better option for the top of the hutch. It would provide a cushioned but not abrasive surface with good traction.

These links may be useful:

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_295077.asp

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

Hmm, perhaps that is what he is doing than. When he skids on the top of the hutch (he gets so excited for his food!). I did buy something like that vet bed, but unfortunately my rabbits love to rip up and eat the stuff. Which is why I've had to go with a very close corked carpet, to prevent them from doing that. I'll try laying the top of the hutch, see how it goes.

Might post some pictures when their new ramps are done! Quite pleased with how one has turned out. :D

Thanks for the help suggestions!

I have found that sore hocks can be exacerbated by carpet. Just as SJH says, they can get some sort of a carpet burn and it wears the fur down on their hocks. You could check out some of the advice given on here in the past:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?450545-Flooring-for-a-Rex&highlight=sore+hocks

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ng-for-sore-hock-bunnies&highlight=sore+hocks

Stable matting comes highly recommended as a flooring for bunnies prone to sore hocks. It's not cheap, but if they are going to chew up their vet bed, which is very good and soft, then you have to find some alternative.

Good luck!

Sore hocks are quite distressing and have in the past made me feel like a rubbish owner, so I can empathise with how you feel.

I have three Rexes and the two bucks get sore hocks but not the doe. They live in a lino-covered shed with a large, attached run split into different areas, but all on concrete. Some of the run is covered to protect it from rain and anything else that falls from the sky. I have found sore patches (never any more than that) and have found that they do heal up without them getting worse. There is little I can do to cover the floor as I'm afraid that being Rexes they eat anything and everything. The shed has lots of areas that are deeply filled with hay, but apart from that there is no cushioning. They are all very active. The only thing I do do, is that if one of them has the sore areas I make sure they don't go out in the run if its wet.

I wish you luck with whatever changes you decide to make.

Just one further thought, make sure that the nails are trimmed regularly as uneven weight on the foot won't be helpful.

Thanks again everyone. Their nails are clipped regularly, so I know it's not that. I'll take the advice given, see how it goes and if it returns I'm gonna have to face that perhaps with Storm he might just be prone to it, you know? Yeah, defo gonna go with the rubber matting, expensive or not, anything for my babies!! lol

Back