• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kerria?

MaxAndMolly

Young Bun
Any keen gardeners and bunny lovers out there know whether kerria is safe for Max and Molly to eat? I've trimmed ours down to size, and the bunnies were investigating it while having a run round the garden yesterday. But I don't know whether they're the kind of twigs that would be safe for them to have in their run to chew on when they're not out?

I've had a look around on the lists of poisonous and safe foods that Google serves up, and it doesn't appear on either.

Thanks all.

I can't give you a definitive answer I'm sorry. I have also just looked on google and haven't really found anything in respect of rabbits. I did find it on a site for gardeners on a list of plants that rabbits would not destroy in the garden. All I can say is that we have a large Kerria and I have never fed it to my rabbits. Now that might be that I found something definite a long time ago. It might also be because, if I can't find anything that I trust, I do not feed the plant to the rabbits as there is just so much else that I know to be safe. It may turn out to be a plant that is not actually toxic to rabbits (and I very much doubt that it is or else it would be found on google as such), but it is something that rabbits just don't find very tasty. Whatever it is, I personally would not feed it, but I would not worry too much if they had the odd nibble of a leaf or two.

Thank you Omi. That's pretty much where I'd got to. I've cleared the pile (it was a brutal prune!) and won't give them any of it that they don't find for themselves. Sorry for the delayed reply. I was offline for a few days.

Back