• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying one half of bonded pair

anachronism

Young Bun
I will be starting to bond Dylan and Darcy in a couple of weeks and want to know what to do about keeping them bonded after Darcy is spayed (feb/march time)
I know they need to go to the vet together but won't Darcy need to be away from him to heal? whats the procedure?

If they have a fairly placid relationship it shouldn't be necessary to keep them separate post spay. It will even enhance the healing process being with her partner. The only problem is the first night (if they are outdoors) then she will need to stay inside the first night to keep warm. But you could also bring him in if you are worried about upsetting the bond. Feb/March is not a brilliant time of year to be spaying bunnies unless they are indoors.

They are both indoor, they live in my utility room (colder than the average living room though)
Thats when she turns 6 months old, I dare say I can wait if needed, Just thought it better to get it done asap

They are both indoor, they live in my utility room (colder than the average living room though)
Thats when she turns 6 months old, I dare say I can wait if needed, Just thought it better to get it done asap

I think you are right there.

As to whether they can remain together after her spay, I have never yet had to separate a bonded pair in such circumstances. However, each situation will need to be judged on it's own merit. I have found that keeping the pair together has helped the Doe recover from the op'. They are even admitted to the Vet together so time apart is minimal. But as I have said, there will always be cases when separating a pair is essential.

Good luck xx

Thanks for the replies. They aren't a bonded pair yet (two weeks until I can start-nervous/excited!) but should be by the time that Darcy is ready to be spayed. Would much rather they get to enjoy the time together instead of more waiting and being single

Back