• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

growth on liver

JoeKan

New Kit
Hello everyone, I posted a question this past summer about a growth that was on a few of my bunnies. After much discussion and research, I concluded that it was Shope Fibroma that was passed on from mosquitoes. After a few weeks, the growth they had disappeared (it was on their noses). I'm thinking everything was fine, but one of my bunnies that had SF was nursing her kit at that time. Since then, I had butchered two of her babies (about 3-4 months old) and I noticed that each one had a gray,blackish growth on their liver. I didn't eat the meat because I wasn't sure what was the cause and I was concerned about it.
Do you think this growth is from SF? Do you think they got SF from nursing from their momma? What do you think would have cause this growth and would the rabbit still be safe to consume by humans?
BTW, I was soaking the butchered rabbit in salty water and step out for a minute and our German Shepherd stole them. (He got a scolding...he knows better) and the meat didn't make him sick.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Joe

Hello everyone, I posted a question this past summer about a growth that was on a few of my bunnies. After much discussion and research, I concluded that it was Shope Fibroma that was passed on from mosquitoes. After a few weeks, the growth they had disappeared (it was on their noses). I'm thinking everything was fine, but one of my bunnies that had SF was nursing her kit at that time. Since then, I had butchered two of her babies (about 3-4 months old) and I noticed that each one had a gray,blackish growth on their liver. I didn't eat the meat because I wasn't sure what was the cause and I was concerned about it.
Do you think this growth is from SF? Do you think they got SF from nursing from their momma? What do you think would have cause this growth and would the rabbit still be safe to consume by humans?
BTW, I was soaking the butchered rabbit in salty water and step out for a minute and our German Shepherd stole them. (He got a scolding...he knows better) and the meat didn't make him sick.
Thank you,
Joe

The only way to obtain a definitive diagnosis of the liver lesions would be to have samples sent off to a Veterinary Laboratory for histopathology (the microscopic examination of tissue in order to study the manifestations of disease.) There are several possible causes of Liver abnormalities found at post mortem, for example hepatic coccidiosis or Tularemia, the latter being prevalent in wild Rabbits in the USA

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Hepatic_coccidiosis_rabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Tularemia_lagomorphs.htm

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/16/12/pdfs/10-1013.pdf

I would contact the US Department of Agriculture about the safety/legality of slaughter of your stock for meat to be consumed/sold to consume

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome

Thank you,
Joe

Yes I remember your question Joe and at the time I remarked it may have been Shope Fibroma.

The only definitive way to know what the growth on the liver was, and if it was safe for human consumption would be to have a Post Mortem done by a vet.

You may also be wise to post on a U.S. meat rabbit site. Here we have very little or no experience of butchering meat rabbits and whether they are safe to eat - we are a pet/rescue rabbit site.

I hope you find the answers to your questions. Good luck xx

Thanks everyone for the help!! I'm thinking about culling the other 3 siblings to see if they have liver problems and if they do, then I will have to do the same to the momma. Of course, the momma is one of our favorites. :(

Thanks everyone for the help!! I'm thinking about culling the other 3 siblings to see if they have liver problems and if they do, then I will have to do the same to the momma. Of course, the momma is one of our favorites. :(

Given your large stock I would recommend getting a proper diagnosis from a qualified professional. So if you do cull the siblings and the Mother and you find the same liver lesions I'd get at least two bodies to an agricultural Vet/Vet Lab for full histopathogical examination. Obviously you'd need to arrange the consultations BEFORE culling the Rabbits, their bodies will need to be gotten to the lab straight away.

Yes, it may all cost money initially, but less money than either losing all your stock to disease or from a Lawsuit taken out by anyone buying meat from you that turned out not to be fit for human consumption.

I wish you all the very best with whatever you decide to do :thumb:

Back