• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-spay

cardiffbun

New Kit
Hi,

We got Belle spayed yesterday, after a week of out little angel turning into a little madame!!

She wasnt very happy with me when I got her home but seemed to cheer up after my girlfriend came in from work! Wasnt fussed on food initially but gladly chewed a couple of whole lettuce leaves and apple as the evening went on. Her poo was a little soft this morning, but she started to eat hay in front of me and ive just gone home now and whilst droppings are quite small she was still chewing away. Even seen her eat a few nuggets. So hopefully that will start to get back to normal.

She is a tripod bunny unfortunately, after losing a front leg, but ive noticed she is moving a little uneasily around the cage and wondered if this was normal? Shes not been given any medication to bring home, but wondering if perhaps shes just a little uncomfortable. She was standing up on her back legs to greet me when I got home as usual, so I dont think shes injured herself - im just a massive worrier with her legs due to her tripod nature.

We have a follow up appointment at the vets tomorrow.

Thanks

Hi,

We got Belle spayed yesterday, after a week of out little angel turning into a little madame!!

She wasnt very happy with me when I got her home but seemed to cheer up after my girlfriend came in from work! Wasnt fussed on food initially but gladly chewed a couple of whole lettuce leaves and apple as the evening went on. Her poo was a little soft this morning, but she started to eat hay in front of me and ive just gone home now and whilst droppings are quite small she was still chewing away. Even seen her eat a few nuggets. So hopefully that will start to get back to normal.

She is a tripod bunny unfortunately, after losing a front leg, but ive noticed she is moving a little uneasily around the cage and wondered if this was normal? Shes not been given any medication to bring home, but wondering if perhaps shes just a little uncomfortable. She was standing up on her back legs to greet me when I got home as usual, so I dont think shes injured herself - im just a massive worrier with her legs due to her tripod nature.

We have a follow up appointment at the vets tomorrow.

Thanks

Hello

A Rabbit does need daily pain relief after a spay, it is very disappointing that some Vets still do not provide this. So I would call your Vet and request a non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam to give to Belle daily for the next 3-4 days. If the Vet refuses I would challenge him/her as to whether they would be happy to have abdominal surgery with no post op'pain relief!!

I would really try to get her some pain medication, a spay is a serious op and the pain relief given at the time lasts for 24 hours, so she will be in pain/very uncomfortable now :( most vets give pain meds as a matter of course now but there are still many vets out there who don't and are happy to leave animals in pain!

Other than that it all sounds great! Eating is a very good thing as is pooping!

Hope she feels better soon.

Im going to pick up some Metacam for her this evening. I thought it was strange that were no meds yesterday. Poor thing, the way they were talking I thought she would be ok for meds for a while, naive on my part!

What a difference a bit of medication does. Happily sitting in her cage chewing on hay cookies, pellets and whatever else she can find to eat. Moving freely too. Albeit a little too freely, so ive confined her space a little more.

As I type this shes just chucked the bowl of water across the cage, so shes back to stroppy teenage stage again!!

So glad you got some pain relief for her. Our little guy was given metacam and I know it's a bigger op for does. Hope she continues to recover well and the strops settle down! xx

What a difference a bit of medication does. Happily sitting in her cage chewing on hay cookies, pellets and whatever else she can find to eat. Moving freely too. Albeit a little too freely, so ive confined her space a little more.

As I type this shes just chucked the bowl of water across the cage, so shes back to stroppy teenage stage again!!

That's great! Yes, for lots of conditions, a little bit of Metacam transforms your bunny, just as pain relief transforms us.

Have you got to go back for a post-spay check up?

That's great! Yes, for lots of conditions, a little bit of Metacam transforms your bunny, just as pain relief transforms us.

Have you got to go back for a post-spay check up?

Yeah we are going back tomorrow evening, I checked the area earlier and it looks nice and clean.

Her toilet habbits have gone back to being pretty much perfect too!

Back