• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay bales help please

marleysworld

Mama Doe
Hi
I'm looking to get a bale of hay from a local farm. Never bought one before so am after some advice on type people buy. What is haylage?

And roughly how big is a bale!! Will it go in the boot or will I have to have it delivered? If anyone is in the Stockport, Manchester area who do you get yours from?

Thanks everyone. Hay4pets is what I usually use but need to cut back on costs if possible.

I think haylage is for horses ad not for bunnies...

I buy bales of meadow hay between £4 7 £5 per bale they last a good month for 3 bunnies.
Depends what type of car you have - I have a bmw saloon and as the boot is high it doesnt fit in the hay bale so i put a cover over the back seat and it fits in there fine.
I use aubiose for the litter trays and that fits in the boot - the compressed bags if that helps size wise.

Im in hertfordshire and use a local farm supplier so probably not much help in that.

Haylage is a type of fermented hay, so not for rabbits.

I have a 2005 Corsa and can fit 3 mid-sized bales in, so they're about 18"x2'x4' :) Costs me £6.50 (damn city prices ;P).

I fit about 3 in my corsa - I got 4 in a KA once with a bit off willpower!

Definitely don't buy haylage as it will make bunnies poorly.

If you're going to get a hay bale and can't get it delivered then put it in an old duvet cover before you put it in the car boot. Saves a heck of a lot of cleaning plus it's easier to move as well :)

I get mine from Jolly Jodhs in Diggle. Before that I was buying from a farm in Mossley and a livery yard in Chadderton. I also use a duvet cover :D

Thanks everyone. Do you get different size bales or are they all the same? Don't want to appear stupid!
We have a bmw so hopefully it will squeeze in and must remember to take a duvet cover. Do they come wrapped in plastic or just rolled up?

Generally there are three different sizes of hay bale, but there's variation even within that because different baling machines make different sizes.

But mostly you'll get smaller rectangular ones, maybe 18-24" x 18-24" x 36" (which is the one you'll likely want), bigger rectangular ones (less common I think), and huge round ones (usually used for a field full of cows).

If you're paying about £5 it'll be a smaller rectangular one. I recommend phoning up first to check exactly what size they are, they won't think you're stupid to make sure it'll fit in the car, especially if you ask because you know they aren't standard sizes.

Back