• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits were sexed ...

Helenmarie85

Warren Scout
yesterday. Our Brown one which we origonally thought was a boy is in fact a boy so in now called Buster as he was in the first place. The white one is a girl and for some reason the girls renamed her Rosie. I have told the kids these names are sticking now and they cannot be changed anymore lol!! We have obviously seperated them until the boy is sorted and according to vet they still will need to be seperated for 4-5 weeks after because he can retain sperm. Hoping in that period Rosie will be done and when her 2 weeks are up they can be back together. I am bringing them in supervised everyday all day to not break the bond they have. Just seperate at night.

I would keep them totally separate to be honest, even supervised it can only take a few seconds for your girl to be pregnant.

Our vet advised to keep them together supervised so as not to break the bond or we will never be able to put them back together :( I keep a very close eye on them. All they have done since we had them is race around together and flop next to each other.

yesterday. Our Brown one which we origonally thought was a boy is in fact a boy so in now called Buster as he was in the first place. The white one is a girl and for some reason the girls renamed her Rosie. I have told the kids these names are sticking now and they cannot be changed anymore lol!! We have obviously seperated them until the boy is sorted and according to vet they still will need to be seperated for 4-5 weeks after because he can retain sperm. Hoping in that period Rosie will be done and when her 2 weeks are up they can be back together. I am bringing them in supervised everyday all day to not break the bond they have. Just seperate at night.

The spaying/neutering plan sound good but please don't allow them to interact until they are done. A boy bun can impregnate a girl in quite literally less than 2 seconds. If he can get to her he will, they need to be separated at all times, supervision will not cut it I'm afraid. If you want them to interact they need to have a barrier between them like one in a run so they can see each other through the bars or something.

I used to work in a rescue and we had a mummy bun and her young son who were very closely bonded, mum was spayed when baby was weaned so there was no risk of them breeding but I was once health checking them and had them in the same carrier, the top of the carrier was open and he got a bit over excited and hopped on mum, I was standing right next to them and lifted him out immediately (both cos eww incest and because mum didn't look impressed!) and there was still sperm all over both of them :shock: the entire incident took less than 2 seconds!

Our vet advised to keep them together supervised so as not to break the bond or we will never be able to put them back together :( I keep a very close eye on them. All they have done since we had them is race around together and flop next to each other.

Sorry but I really don't agree. Lots of people on here have separated and then rebonded!!!

I have to say that if my vet said that to me I'd be finding another vet!

I was told also he can get her through wire fences lol. We have another hutch lined up asap so once thats here they will be in separate hutchs. I'm just terrified of them losing their bond, I mean obviously we can't gaurentee he hasn't already caught her (before we knew he was a boy)

I was told also he can get her through wire fences lol. We have another hutch lined up asap so once thats here they will be in separate hutchs. I'm just terrified of them losing their bond, I mean obviously we can't gaurentee he hasn't already caught her (before we knew he was a boy)

It's very unlikely you *won't* be able to bond them again. Male/female is the easiest bond there is. I've bonded hundreds of bunny pairs ready for rehoming :thumb:

As your vet has said, I should keep them apart for 3/4 weeks after his castration, as it's possible he may still be fertile.

Good luck with your lovely bunnies :D

hi totally agree with hele. pets at home sold me 2 supposedly male rabbits. i kept checking them every week to make sure because i had doubts about squiggles so i asked the vet when i took them for jabs and he said willow was defo a female which i nicely pointed out he had rather big testicles lol.. so i asked for 3 different vets to check squiggles. turns out i was right shes female. i seperated them but let the out in run supervised with me even sat in there with them. he jumped on her and i could not pull him off her he had locked on so hard. i know think she is pregnant. i really wanted to keep the bond while waiting for the spaying too

They have shown no interest in each other in that sense. They hop and chase each other then flop down together. They are always doing there own thing. I watch them very closely and if I have to leave the room I put one in the pet carrier briefly. We have a hutch coming saturday so they will be seperated much better!

They are (at 12 weeks) a little young tp have any interest in sexual activity but I suppose there are always exceptions and it is better to err on the side of caution.

the breeder (shock, horror) who provided matthew and tabitha had known siblings to mate successfully at twelve weeks, and was absolutely clear I should separate and re-bond, which I did.

They are (at 12 weeks) a little young tp have any interest in sexual activity but I suppose there are always exceptions and it is better to err on the side of caution.

Yeah they just do there own thing, more often than not one of them hops away if the other goes over. I do put Rosie in the pet carrier if I leave the room or have to do a bit of housework just in case!!

the breeder (shock, horror) who provided matthew and tabitha had known siblings to mate successfully at twelve weeks, and was absolutely clear I should separate and re-bond, which I did.

I have heard of matings younger than 12 weeks. These show no interest at all but i'm not going to risk putting them in hutch overnight together. We get another hutch saturday so they will be in separate hutch's.

My vet is inspecting my bun each week for signs of testicles- to see whether they need to be separated. So far they aren't there. Is that not reliable? Gulp.

Last week when I took him he looked and said "oh, this is the girl"
So, who knows, I might actually have two girls....

Its hard to sex rabbits .. I at first thought we had 2 boys. Then I thought the brown one was a boy and white a girl. As they got a bit bigger I thought they were both girls. But turns out my 2nd look was correct haha!! I don't think anything is reliable in sexing rabbits other than having them neutered/spayed lol!!

Back