• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this be OK?

Calathea

Young Bun
I'm getting two mini lops in a weeks time, they're brothers and will be 8 weeks old when I bring them home. At least until April next year they will be house buns, possibly then being moved outside, depending on how well they get on being indoors and that.

I now know that commercial cages are a bit rubbish and small and will be eventually building and/or buying something custom made. Possibly the panel type things from Manor Pet Housing ( website that has blown my mind lol!).

For now though, would a commercial cage connected to a metal run be sufficient for two baby buns for the next few months?

Most likely this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/14083 with this attached http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/4_sided/194038 or a similar style run.

My concern at the moment is my two cats - as much as I will try to ensure they don't get in the room it's inevitable that they will one day which is why I need something with a roof. I'm going to do some more measuring and see if I can move the furniture around to accommodate this run http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/4_sided/281805 The pitched roof will mean the cats won't be able to lie on them. And of course it's bigger!

What else do I need to buy for the cage? I'll be replacing the bottle with a Classic one, buying a larger heavier bowl and a wooden hay rack plus some toys and a litter tray.

What litter trays are best? I was thinking of getting one of those plastic corner ones but not sure how good they are for buns?

I use Fitch paper bedding for my hams, are rabbits OK on that?

Thanks everyone :)

I have a dog crate with an attached metal run (my run doesn't have a roof though). I'm on my third litter tray since getting my rabbits about 6 weeks ago :lol: I now use an underbed storage box which has been the best option by far. The first tray was just a rectangular cat litter tray and the bunnies tended to pee over the top of it making a lot of mess, I then got a large corner tray which was great for a while but I felt it was too small as they tend to sleep in there so they didn't have enough room to stretch out. I use a water bowl rather than the bottle I got originally, I found the bottle leaked and they didn't drink an awful lot from it.

I would probably get the larger run and just put an underbed storage box in that instead of getting a cage. I have a large upturned cardboard box with a door cut in it for them to sit inside or on top of, and lino underneath the crate and run to protect my flooring. It's been very much a case of trial and error with getting the set up right and I'm sure I'll make more changes too!

It looks good. Many people use those cages as the rabbits litter tray/sleeping area. as long as the run would be attached permanently so they have 24/7 access then that it looks good. Of course if you could get the bigger run that would be even better. Obviously if they had that smaller run free ranging time would also be best for them.

It's been very much a case of trial and error with getting the set up right and I'm sure I'll make more changes too!

Ditto! :lol: At the moment we have a big litter tray (designed for cats). I did think about a corner one but glad I got the bigger one as he can sit in it and munch hay while pooing!

What about the Outback Wooden Run 5' x 5' with a door so you can extend the area if you want to. Comes with a roof and you will be able to use it outside next year. :D Rabbits love tunnels, little houses, something to sit on and under.

I have the cage for one of my indoor buns - we have taken the front grids off, so it's more like her litter tray (with a large tray in it) and she has access to half a bedroom 24/7.

In my opinion, you could save yourself the money and just buy as big a run as you can house/afford. A large tray for toileting (we get the large seedling-trays from Wilko's as they are big, but lower than the under-storage beds), somewhere to hide in (cardboard box is fine) and a snuggly blanket in a corner will ensure a happy bunny. Our buns also like the wooden doll beds from IKEA - they can hop up and have a snooze :)

Also, with all our buns, we have found that water bowls work better (ceramic ones).

Good luck!

I would just buy one of the runs for now, couple of big litter trays (I use underbed storage boxes £4 each from Asda) and a hidey house thing (could just use a carrier or splash out on something from MPH which you could then use in your final setup. Will be fine whilst you get their perm indoor home ready (I love the MPH indoor pens)

Back